Bad Dream... kill switch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangertom

Greasemonkey
Sep 2, 2012
Independence, MO
Ok, so i just woke up this morning and i'd been having this horrible dream where thieves kept trying to steal my 84 cutlass. When i woke i had that feeling of fear like when you wake from a really bad dream and imediatly checked to make sure my cutty was still in the drive, it is :D Anyways it mad me think that it is way past time to install a kill switch so my question is this, Which is better a dizzy switch, or a kill switch run directly into the ignition wires in the colum? or does it make a difference? i read a post on here once about a kill switch tied into the ignition which i believe had pics of the wires and described exactly which wires to cut into ( the purple if i remember?) but now i can't find that thread and i really want to protect my baby the best i can....

magik420

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2012
Boise ID
I have been wanting to do this as-well, here is a good one that i have been reading.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16536

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
The purple wire would be the one that sends power to the solenoid. If you want it tied to the starter that would be the wire to tie into.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
I think the distributor is easier, the car will crank over still and the thief would just end up thinking your car is a piece of sh*t that doesnt run and maybe run off. I think if you tie it into the starter and he turns the ignition and gets nothing, then he might realize there could be a kill switch

MadMax

Apprentice
Aug 17, 2011
I would just run a kill switch to the hot terminal on the distributor. If i leave my car sitting out, i reach under the hood and disconnect the hot on the dizzy. That way, it will just turn over and not fire.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
My buddies car has about 5 switches scattered throughout the car, connected in series that operate a relay, which operated the hot on the distributor. His battery is also in the trunk.

The switches are like a "combination lock". So even if someone found them all, it will take them a hell of a long time to get the combination right.

He only ever uses the one under the dash. But there is another one under the dash, one on the dash right next to the steering wheel, there is also one under the rear bumper, one under the fender.

If you want to be really sneaky, you should operate 2 switches each time you park.

If you do it this way, make sure to take your time to run the wires in a protected and dry place. You dont HAVE to use a relay, but he did to ensure the ignition source wasnt running all over the car. Plus if you ever have an iginition issue, its easier to bypass the relay at 1 location, rather than chasing switches all over the car. (Dont put the relay right next to the hot wire either, cuz then is just as easy for a thief to bypass it).

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Mad Max said:
I would just run a kill switch to the hot terminal on the distributor. If i leave my car sitting out, i reach under the hood and disconnect the hot on the dizzy. That way, it will just turn over and not fire.

You can run a switched ground wire to the tach terminal on a HEI dist. that will keep the ignition module from letting the car start. Its simple and you don't have to worry about a "Hot" wire shorting anywhere in the car. 8)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
tc1959 said:
Mad Max said:

You can run a switched ground wire to the tach terminal on a HEI dist. that will keep the ignition module from letting the car start. Its simple and you don't have to worry about a "Hot" wire shorting anywhere in the car. 8)

I never knew that, that's a nice way of doing it.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Thanks magik420 for referencing my Stolen thread.

If you look at that thread, there is a video by Stacy David (first post). Pretty cool. I like the Dizzy switch idea and seems the easiest as well.

Dreams, especially recurring ones, are symbolic. The symbols refer to people/things/events, depending on what the symbol means to you -- but the feelings are identical to the actual circumstance it represents. I can interpret dreams, if you PM me more details, everything you can remember. However, generalizing, it seems you are worried about people either bad-mouthing you or they are trying to do something that will cost you financially (material possessions or job, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor