Model Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I just got a new model kit in the mail today, and was wondering who still enjoys building them? I have probably been doing them since I was 9 or 10 years old. While I do not do them very frequently any more, I still do like to build one on occasion when I find something cool or different to build. my last ones were a Datsun PL510, a 340 Duster and a GN, while the one I got today is an East German Trabant 601 that I had to order from Europe.

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
I love building model cars, the first one I built when I was 9 was a BMW, thats all I remember then built Tom Cruise's Mello Yello car from Days Of Thunder lol. I recently finished a '86 Monte Carlo, it's primer gray with "bondo" spots and "mud" slung up around the rockers, it was modeled after my '81 Cutlass as far as looks go..before that I built a yellow '69 Nova dragster and a silver metalflake '68 Dodge Charger R/T dragster both with full racing decals and they're facing off at the moment on my dresser, the Nova always wins btw. My wife just got me a '69 Camaro SS for valentine's day, not a big fan of the car but i'll see what I can do to make it more my liking. I have probably 20 or more in storage that i've built over the last 2 1/2 years not to mention the stone,woods, and cook willy's and the 2 corvettes i built for my uncle, and the Hind Gunship helicopter i built for my wifes grandfather who is a Vietnam Vet, he's kind of hinted to me that the b-14 flying fortress is his favorite plane of all time so guess I have another project for the future but yeah, all in all I love building models, helps me to relax and use a little creativity and learn a little bit more about the vehicle i'm building

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
lol i remember model cars. do they have one of a g body cutlass? that would be so cool to have one modeled after my car

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
in all, i think i've built 11 models, and they all came out like crap except for the one i built using spare parts from all my other models. 1990 chevy c-10 converted to 4x4 with a lift kit made out of heads and valve covers, stacks came off the back side of the cab (mustang headers), bucket seats out of a camaro, a frame from a 55 chevy truck, low profile wheels off of that same camaro, engine out of a 1960 c10, roll bar out of god knows what, and a front grill assembly from a 1970 gto... but the grill came as a spare part to my 67 gto model... wtf... all of my cars come out like crap due to a combination of big fingers, unsteady hands, crappy glue and paint, and a low level of patience for it. :( but it was still fun. anyone else built goofy crap with their spare parts??

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I put together a gripload between ages 9-17, i built all kinds including boats, planes and even tried my hand at H.O. model trains for a bit but didn't have the cash to continue that hobby. I Then turned into building model lowrider cars and went as far as getting them to hop. I would buy Impalas and glue motors to them and with some fishing string got them to go up and down 8) I would throw the mini daytons and fake speakers to complete the look. I got good with throwing down the candy paints and tried to do patterns on them.....Then i got my 79 Grand prix and everything went out the window. :lol: I was pretty good at building them and modding them though, come to think of it i have a new in the box 62 Impala sitting in storage room i've been wanting to get to.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I love model cars, but rather than building the 1/24 scale kits, I'm more partial to the pre-assembled 1/18 scale die-casts, and then I take them apart and modify them.
I used to occupy the long winter months while the real cars were in storage by messing around with the models.
Been a while since I bought any though. I've got over 60 of them, so I really don't need any more...
I should probably thin the herd a bit too.

I should put some pics up of some of the ones I've modified...
The best one is a Caprice squad car that I re-did to look just like my Caprice. It turned out awesome.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
A member of my family has been building them since the 60's and has over 400 of them and still continues to build.
Some of them are very rare and there are even a few old tanks in which some I believe are motorized.
Not too long ago one of the shelves gave way and destroyed some old 60's Funny Cars... :evil:

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
I have been building models since 14 and stopped when at 16.I had no money to do the hobby anymore and needed to put aside for when i got my first car (86 cutlass).I have mostly mopars and impalas,that's really all i liked back then.
The last thing i did with all my complete and partially complete models was to weather them,mkae them look like they were sitting ten years in a salvage yard and made a complete diorama using an old gas station model i had.I also made a gbody 86 monte,I made it look like the cheviac from davidsfarm on youtube.
4366422680_fe3f6b38a3_b.jpg

4365679087_5b39ef86ce_b.jpg

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor