G body regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone_Much_Cooler

Greasemonkey
Oct 14, 2007
Are the rear aluminum inner bumpers interchange able between g body models?
Can I convert to the s10 manual steering with a grand national? Is it recommended?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Someone_Much_Cooler said:

No. If they came off a Regal, they will only fit a Regal.

Can I convert to the s10 manual steering with a grand national? Is it recommended?

Yes, you can do that swap on any G-body. As for if it is recommended, I wouldn't.
The HydroBoost brakes on the Grand National are run off of hydraulic pressure supplied by the power steering pump.
So in addition to the extra steering effort to save just a couple horsepower, you would also have to covert the brakes to either manual, or a traditional vacuum booster set-up. Sounds like an awful lot of work for such a small gain.

canadiantbone

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2011
British Columbia
the s10 manual box will fit into the regal. I have one if you are interested.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston

depends on what you plan to do with the rear clip. If you want a stock rear, then no

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
custom442 said:

depends on what you plan to do with the rear clip. If you want a stock rear, then no

I thought that the Cutlass and Regal were the same base body. w/ different *ss and front clips?

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Blake442 said:
The HydroBoost brakes on the Grand National are run off of hydraulic pressure supplied by the power steering pump.

I'm not a GN expert, but my friend's all original 86 GN has a factory-installed Powermaster brake system. The hydraulic booster is self-contained and uses a small electric motor to provide the hydraulic pressure for the booster, not the PS pump. In fact, the Powermaster uses brake fluid for the booster working fluid, not PS fluid.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
stomis said:
custom442 said:

I thought that the Cutlass and Regal were the same base body. w/ different *ss and front clips?

The only things that the Cutlass and Regal share is the doors. Everything else is different.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
joe_padavano said:
Blake442 said:

I'm not a GN expert, but my friend's all original 86 GN has a factory-installed Powermaster brake system. The hydraulic booster is self-contained and uses a small electric motor to provide the hydraulic pressure for the booster, not the PS pump. In fact, the Powermaster uses brake fluid for the booster working fluid, not PS fluid.

Joe, I think we're both right, as there are two different set-ups that were used on the GN's.
The earlier hydroboost, and the later powermaster.

Either way, for the subject at hand, it doesn't matter since this guys car already has vacuum brakes on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor