1979 Pontiac Lemans Safari build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
So I figure it's about time so start one, 1979 lemans safari it's been hawaii for only 3 years previous to that it spent its whole life in arizona and it show's it, I would say over %90 rust free with the rest being little surface rust that I can take off with just a Brillo pad if I wanted to. The only bad trade off with no rust from arizona is that I think it's never seen a garage up there the interior and paint is blown the non primer parts of the car inside the door jambs the clear is gone and the paint is flaking off exposing primer under it! I have been working on it for a while so I missed alot of build pics, so far what I missed to photo is when I swapped in 200r4 bowtie overdrives stage 2 trans, and when I degreased and pressure washed and rubber undercoated the under carriage, only thing I wish a I did was por-15 before the under coat, I just sprayed it after the hot water pressure wash, that was an adventure in itself because I was laying down half way under car while doing it, kind of hurt :lol: and installing the spohn upper and lower rear control arms. Well on to the pic's so you guys know what I'm working with.

IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0030.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

thanks for taking a look guys.
wade

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I like it! Where did you get the GTO scoops? And Torque Thrust wheels? Wow, a blast from the past!

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
Bonnewagon said:
I like it! Where did you get the GTO scoops? And Torque Thrust wheels? Wow, a blast from the past!

Well I got lucky that the guy I bought it from and who shipped her from arizona had quite a bit more cash than me, the hood scoops are steel ones that he welded on and its functional he cut out the hood undeneath they open up right before the air filter so I dont like to drive her in the rain, the real jewel is the nose he found it off ebay nos still in the g.m bag/box with manufacturers stickers and all, and he had to pay big time to get it out here, I'm most paranoid about that because there is no way I can find another out here, I park it with the nose facing something unmovable like a wall or tree when in a lot :lol: The torque thrust he had in his shed for the longest time they are 15x7's. This guy has a cache of pontiac parts, he has three poncho 455 at his house in storage and that's not including the two in his 68 and 69 birds and one of has the keissler 6 speed conversion and they are both cherry, it's cause of those that the wife made him give up the wagon! I tried to make a play for one of the 455's but no dice so far, so I'm thinking of buying the tomahawk stroker crank that does not require any clearance machine work that makes a pontiac 350 into a 383 then I want to bore it out to 4 3/32" to make me 428 aaaahhhh big plans, big plans! For now I don't intend to buy anything for a while, I still have intall my parts cache including the 8.5 rear I'm working on, and the spohn control arms for the front, swaybars, and full front end rebuild kit from moog, well only thing I'll pick up if I come across it is the blazer brakes upgrade for the front, I keep an eye out at a local yard that lets you pull your own parts they had one but the front was gone already. After all that I'm going to put her down to the paint and interior, planning on going with some kind of gray with claret interior.

wade

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So you're making a GTO wagon. I like way you think. Keep it all Pontiac. I've had a Pontiac 350 and 400 in a Malibu wagon and it was awsome fast. I can't imagine a 455 in these wimpy bodies yet guys do it. Right now I have a 301 in a Bonneville wagon and I like it as a fun/economy driver. I just adore that hood, you got a great deal there.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I dig your wagon, Wade. What a great start. Good luck with it and keep us up to date.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
QUICK DONT DELAY!!! i have access to one of these in a bone yard about an hour away COMPLETE,immaculate anything you need is there.if interested pm me or call me 505-929-6152.jose.this wagon is up to meet its demise with the crusher very shortly,let me know asap.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Start a seperate topic on this, or no one will see it. That sounds like a great parts car.

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
L.A.X-RATED said:
QUICK DONT DELAY!!! i have access to one of these in a bone yard about an hour away COMPLETE,immaculate anything you need is there.if interested pm me or call me 505-929-6152.jose.this wagon is up to meet its demise with the crusher very shortly,let me know asap.

Thanks pm'd you about seeing if you can score me the b-pillars, the interior trim between the doors that hold the seat belts.

Did some work on the gn rear I'm wanting to put in, got it degreased, wire brushed, and painted satin black, changed the axle seals and bearings, changed the pinion seal, and replaced the bushing in the ears with poly ones. Just waiting on my one axle to get here it's on backorder from summit supposed to get to me by the end of the month. I was intending to mod with the ls1 brake set up that I have on the side but I thought that would be like going *ss backwards so I put that on hold until I can get the fronts upgraded with the dual piston blazer set up, or a willwood one my cousin has a kit that he had sitting on the side at his garage for over 3 years and seeing as he been at his 68 camaro about half out lives got when we were 12 and we are about to hit 31, I don't see it getting done anytime soon :lol: So for now all the brake hardware on the 7.5 is going on the 8.5, so I can drive her around. Well on to the pic's.

before
IMAG0001.jpg

during
IMAG0034.jpg

and waiting for the damn axle!
IMAG0036.jpg

thanks for the comments and taking a look,

wade

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
Blake442 said:
Looks like a great project! The hood looks great.

Even a stockish/mild 455 would be a blast if you can get your hands on one.

There's a guy about 10min away from my house that is selling a complete short block just missing the heads on up for $400 that I don't have right now :( I might just do something stupid I buy it anyway just to have it on the side till I can get to it and eat dirt and water for month or two to make up the funds :rofl:

wade

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor