Wagon quarter glass mouldings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicmu355

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 8, 2011
Just bought this wagon and the quarter glass mouldings are done anyone know if they are still available or where to find

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That's going to be a tough one. You can try to run it through a GM dealer and see if there's any NOS out there. Somehow I kinda doubt it...but you can give it a shot.
Those are the flexible stick-on mouldings. They usually get discolored and ratty looking over time.

Here's a few numbers I found in an old crash book.
upper right- 20406384 > these cover the 3-sides-left. right, and upper
lower right-20329920> this covers the lower glass edge and sill.

upper left-20406385
lower left-20329921
Trying to scavenge this type of flexible moulding from the junkyard is a losing proposition. You'll end ripping them...ask me how I know.
Good luck!

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
You're better off just pulling them off and converting to the earlier aluminum clip-on style moldings.
That's what I'm doing on my '83 since the rubber ones are baked.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Blake,
What do plan to do for the little mushroom head (stud) clip retainers? I don't blame you for going with the metal mouldings. I like them alot better...only if I can come some decent plastic profile strips as we recently discussed.
I wondering if these were ever sold separately from the actual mouldings..or were they part of the whole deal?

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
Do as Blake said and convert to the older aluminum version. Blake helped me with mine last year. We used a small stainless steel screw from the local hardware store. Marked location and drilled a pilot hole. Dabbed the screw with silicone before install. So far working great! Finding the aluminum version was the hardest part. All the slip in plastic pieces may not be good. Just use the ones from any mid eighties GM car windshield and cut to length. They don't cover up quite as much glass but they directly slip in the the channel and it would take someone who really knew their stuff to know it's not an original plastic slip in piece. If I look hard enough I know I have an extra set of the aluminum version somewhere. The bone yards don't give them away either. I know I paid like $125-$150 for mine.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
SafariWagon said:
All the slip in plastic pieces may not be good. Just use the ones from any mid eighties GM car windshield and cut to length. They don't cover up quite as much glass but they directly slip in the the channel and it would take someone who really knew their stuff to know it's not an original plastic slip in piece.
=========================================================================================================
Lyndsay,
Fortunately, my car has the aluminum 1/4 mouldings. However, I'm in the position where I need the plastic strips. Of course mine are all shot. I noticed lately that even '80's B-body cars are getting fewer at the boneyard. I'm seeing more of the whale body type B-body cars...Roadmasters, Caprices. I suspect that they use the rubber windshield mouldings. I haven't looked at them too closely.
I noticed my windshield moulding has the strips, but they're probably the same type as the B-body ones...not as wide as the 1/4 moulding pieces.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Longroof79 said:
Blake,
What do plan to do for the little mushroom head (stud) clip retainers? I don't blame you for going with the metal mouldings. I like them alot better...only if I can come some decent plastic profile strips as we recently discussed.
I wondering if these were ever sold separately from the actual mouldings..or were they part of the whole deal?

I'll probably just do the same thing we did on Lindsays wagon and screw the clips in.
We tried to use my Uni-Spotter, but the lip that the window sits on would not allow it to seat properly to weld the stud in the right location.
I thought about modifying the collar on the uni-spotter, but they aren't cheap and I'm reluctant to start cutting on it...

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
There's a good number of those studs around the windows. I guess you pretty much have an idea where to place the studs.
If not, I can take a pic of how they're positioned on my car. But I think the screw concept should do the trick. I was thinking small screws and maybe short pieces of tubing, like brake line or something like that to act as spacers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor