Working on the wagon..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've been gradually chipping away at the body work, prep, rear bumper narrowing and tuck. Here's a few pics of what I've been up to.
MVC-776S-1.jpg

MVC-777S-1.jpg

MVC-768S.jpg

MVC-769S.jpg

MVC-766S-1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks man, I'll keep 'em coming as I progress on the project. :)
I know it doesn't look like much now, but I've gotten alot done over the span of a few months. Even the bumper narrowing is time consuming. It also entails modifying and cutting down the support bar and collapsing the energy absorbers. I also shaved the bumper bolts and welded them to the bumper.
I was considering shaving the rear tailgate license plate pocket, but I decided to keep it....unless I install a drop down license plate bracket.
I'm also still wondering about doing something different with the taillights. I thought about making flat plexiglass lenses using the stock taillight housings, and maybe going with LED's. I still have time to worry about that.
I've been witnessing everyone else making progress. It's about time I got on the ball. :wink:

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Lookin' good Jack. Must be nice having summer all year round, I'm packing stuff away for winter. Oh, wait, that's my excuse to my Wife why I can't do stuff, carry on.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Nice work Jack, it must be a chore to figure out the set up with the bumper shock depth and having the lights in that location. Can you still use the bumper re-enforcement and mount the bumper in the position you have it?

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Bonnewagon said:
Lookin' good Jack. Must be nice having summer all year round, I'm packing stuff away for winter. Oh, wait, that's my excuse to my Wife why I can't do stuff, carry on.

Thanks Mark,
Thank goodness for mild weather. The key is to get as much done as feasibly possible before the colder weather sets in.
I know it sounds funny...cold weather in Florida, but we do get cold up here in the northern part of the state.
Yeah, the mind set is different living up in NY. I always dreaded the onset of winter. as much as I liked this time of year up north, I knew what was around the corner.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
pontiacgp said:
Nice work Jack, it must be a chore to figure out the set up with the bumper shock depth and having the lights in that location. Can you still use the bumper re-enforcement and mount the bumper in the position you have it?
Thanks Steve,
I'm still adjusting the bumper height and depth. Fortunately, I'm able to slide the absorbers to where I want them and then I'll tack weld them in place.
I pretty much hung the bumper and reinforcement bar in place for the picture. I'd like to get it as close to the tailgate as possible without obstructing the tailgate when I open it. A friend suggested that I shorten the cables to limit the tailgate travel.
The tailgate is curved, or bowed in the middle, if you will. Had it been straight across, clearance wouldn't be an issue.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I see what you mean about the tailgate..I wonder is there is any set up that the pivot pin is on a cam so when it rotates it raises the tailgate to give you clearance for the bow...

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
pontiacgp said:
I see what you mean about the tailgate..I wonder is there is any set up that the pivot pin is on a cam so when it rotates it raises the tailgate to give you clearance for the bow...
Steve,
That's not a bad idea at all. However, I'd like to keep it as simple as I can.

I wonder if anyone had used John Deere Blitz Black under the hood, fenders, etc? I'm considering it. There is a hardener available for it as well.

1983mailbuwagon

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2009
looking good. wish there wasn`t a foot of snow on the ground and I could still work on mine :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor