I'M BACK and with a new horse in the stable

Status
Not open for further replies.

84sscutty

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2009
Fayetteville, Tennessee
Well guys, I'm back. Just thought I'd share my newest addition to the stable. I was trolling Craiglslist and stumbled upon an '82 Malibu wagon, it was roughly 3 hours away but me and the family loaded up for a short road trip. After 3 hours on the highway, we finally make, I check it out, and haggling began. Needless to say, I drove her home. The owner said it had a transmission leak but was good other than that. Test drove it after the transmission fluid was topped off and then hit the road in it. It never missed a lick after gassing up. Well, I guess rattled my trap/fingers long enough, how about a few pics.

DSCN0969.jpg

DSCN0970.jpg

DSCN0971.jpg

DSCN0972.jpg

DSCN0973.jpg

DSCN0974.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Looks like it needs some TLC, but it has a lot of potential. How's the rust situation? What are your plans for it?
I don't remember the last time a saw a set moon discs on a car. It looks pretty cool.

84sscutty

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2009
Fayetteville, Tennessee
Longroof79 said:
Looks like it needs some TLC, but it has a lot of potential. How's the rust situation? What are your plans for it?
I don't remember the last time a saw a set moon discs on a car. It looks pretty cool.

It does need some TLC but its not as bad as it looks. Rattle can primer can make anything look horrible. Frame rails are good and the floors are solid. The bottoms of the doors are ok. Overall, its not bad, the primer just makes it look bad. I've only found one spot that has bondo so I'm happy about that.
Plans are to drop drop my 327 in there. I also bought a t56 over the weekend, only downfall to that is that I have to buy a $400 flywheel but I ain't mad. I'll probably run a 410 gear with the 6 speed. It should be a blast to drive. Besides the flywheel all I really need is a pedal, hydraulics, and a crossmember and I could slap it together. I'll post a pic of the t56 in a few minutes.

84sscutty

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2009
Fayetteville, Tennessee
Here is the pic of the t56 that I bought. It came with a brand new clutch kit and a button clutch disc off of ebay.

DSCN0977.jpg

DSCN0978.jpg

And here is a video from yesterday, hadn't done a thing to it when I took the video.

http://youtu.be/dAsmg6ij7BY

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention that I already have the front and rear LS1 brakes sitting in the garage. They have already been sandblasted and are ready for paint. All I need is some caliper brackets from flynbye.com

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It sounds like you have some cool plans for it. The 327 is a nice powerplant...and backed up by a T56 should be a nice combination. $400. for a flywheel.. :shock: ...but I guess it is what it is.
The body does look pretty straight and solid. Looks like you need some bumper fillers. They do reproduce in fiberglass, and not too outrageous.
A guy posted this link over at Maliburacing. http://www.replica-plastics.com/EditPar ... =Chevrolet

Good luck with it. Keep us up to date on your progress.

84sscutty

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2009
Fayetteville, Tennessee
My plan is is to cut, tuck, and rechrome the bumpers. I think they look gaudy in original form. I like what you done with yours. If ya wanna send yours this way, I'll happily send you mine. LOL. I'll probably put the plates in the bumper as well, haven't really made up my mind on that yet, it'll be awhile before I'm to that point anyway, I want it running like i want first off. Hopefully the 327 will be fun for a while.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
84sscutty said:
My plan is is to cut, tuck, and rechrome the bumpers. I think they look gaudy in original form. I like what you done with yours. If ya wanna send yours this way, I'll happily send you mine. LOL. I'll probably put the plates in the bumper as well, haven't really made up my mind on that yet, it'll be awhile before I'm to that point anyway, I want it running like i want first off. Hopefully the 327 will be fun for a while.
==========================================================================================================
:lol: I was going to suggest narrowing and tucking the bumpers, but I wasn't sure how involved you wanted to get.
They would look great narrowed and re-chromed. I've thought of it myself, but I'm sure it can get quite pricey.
I like the plates in the bumper, but truthfully, the bumpers are kind of narrow width wise...especially the rear.
A guy that I talk to on occasion made a front tag pocket, and it looks pretty good. I'll have to show you a pic of that.
As far as sending me your bumpers on a swap...nice try.. :lol: I honestly put a lot of work into mine. I can tell you how I did mine, and offer advice, etc...but I'm not giving mine up... :mrgreen: If you were closer, I'd help you with them.

84sscutty

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2009
Fayetteville, Tennessee
Longroof, your bumpers are actually my inspiration for wanting them but I will probably pay someone to do it so that they wont need any major touchups when they go for rechroming. I have a few ideas in my head on the tag pocket, I just have to get them down on paper, but I'm no artist. I'd definitely be interested in seeing that pic.
Hey, you can't blame for the try on the bumpers, I know you had work into them, I read up on it on your thread. It was a big payoff though. I think the fit is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor