next project-'83 Cutlass Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Fellas

I've been visiting this site for a long time just to see the long roof cars - now I bought one! It is an 83 Cruiser with a 92 Roadmaster 350 * TBI in it. it runs well and all the gauges work.

1st thing is; how do i lower it? It sits WAY higher than my El Camino, even though it has the same frame and 30 yr old springs. are the spring rates that much different?

here's the car - and get prepared, I'll be asking a lot of questions in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RdtDfS4 ... Yg&index=1

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Congratulations on your purchase, Ed.
I watched the video and realized that it was Woody's car you bought. I guess you actually drove it back from Texas. That should have been a good shake down cruise. Other than the dents and dings, it appears to be pretty solid.
As far as lowering it, you could use 2" drop spindles in front and lowering springs and air bags in the rear.
Here's a good spring chart that might help you. http://www.maliburacing.com/coilspring.htm

Don't be afraid to ask questions. That what this forum is about. Good luck, man.
BTW, your Elky looks sweet. I like the color a lot.

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
hey jack - yep, it was woody's!

1295 miles from ft worth to indian rocks beach - without incident. i almost forgot about a great feature of a wagon: i drove 'til about 2am then pulled into a rest area, dropped the seat flat and sacked out for a few hours! and i got about 20mpg on the trip, much better than my 350 El Camino.

i see you are in gainesville - i may have to come up and see you and your project and pick up some pointers/advice.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Ed,
I saw the wiring fiasco under the hood...yow!! I'm sure it's on your to-do list of tasks.
Being able to take a siesta in the back is a good feature of these cars. Although I never snoozed out in mine...at least not in the rear.
Getting 20 mpg is great. You can thank overdrive and TBI for that..plus a good running engine.
What are your ultimate plans for it? I've run into nice Cutlass dashes in the past. I'll keep my eyes open for one.
Unfortunately, they don't make a dash cap for those type of dashes.
Let me know if there's anything you're looking for. I'm long overdue for a junkyard crawl.

Let me know If you're ever up this way, you can look me up.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Saw the video on ECC Ed...nice pick up...glad to see someone is going to take this to the next level and likely beyond!

I sure wish we were alot closer...there's a nice Cutlass wagon at a wrecker about an hour from me...body is real nice. I pulled the pwr rear vent windows for another member here. There's also an 86 4 door Cutlass at a local wrecker here with a minty tan dash in it. I've priced shipping Malibu/Camino/Monte dashes out of here and it's crazy expensive.

Good luck on the project..I'll be watching for more updates..

Kevin

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Jack - if you want to do some junkyard crawling this saturday, i'll drive up! i love going to junkyards; especially ones i've never been to. next weekend is super chevy in west palm beach and i'll be going there to meet up with some el caminos. check out this dash cap link

http://www.dashtop.com/products/dash-co ... le-cutlass

Kevin - with parts like that avail. i wish i lived closer, too! i need a tailgate and right front fender badly.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hi Ed,
This weekend is not going to be good for me...sorry about that. I haven't been junkyarding in a few months, and I'd like to see if there's any new stuff to score. If plans change, I'll let you know.

The last time I was there, there were a few 4-dr Cutlasses. I'm sure a fender off one of those would be the ticket. I'm not sure of the what years fit what, though. I'm wondering if your fender could be straightened out properly. The forward area next to the header panel might be a little tricky, but do-able.

I wasn't aware of a Cutlass dashcap. Must be a new item.. pricey though. :shock:

I haven't been to Super Chevy in years. Since they used to have it at the Gainesville Raceway, but no longer.

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
c'mon down with me Jack! it'll be fun - we all hang out saturday then go to one of the members place out on the beach for burgers and brews. the el camino boys are an ugly lot, but they're friendly! check out this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW4_yZ4e ... g&index=39

yeah, that cap is pricey, but it may be my only option

Blake - i'm pretty sure i'll change color, too. but the door panels are in really good shape, so the interior may stay that real dark maroon, just so i don't have to do anything about them.

GRIFF442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2012
Coral Springs, Florida
Hey Ed,
Nice looking wagon!! Can't wait to see what you do with it! I was at last years Super Chevy hangin with the El Camino crew also. We only made it up on Sunday last year and brought my brother-n-laws black and gold 86 and my other friends 86 iroc SS El Camino (not the one in your video, that belongs to another friend in Coral Springs). We will be up again this year and hopefully for both days if the wife allows 8) . I will be bringing my 83 malibu turbo wagon out for its car show debute so hope to see you there. I recognize your El, so we may have already met, have been going to Super Chevy in palm beach since they brought it back.....
See you soon, Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor