lowering springs for a wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
fellas - i'll soon be ready to lower my wagon. i have read probably 50 posts and PM'd probably 20 people, but still don't know what MOOG (or equal) springs will lower the rear end 2". i don't want the hotchkiss or opgi or eibach springs, they are progressive (too stiff) and ridiculously expensive (they're just springs after all).

1" springs won't do anything - the wagon is 30 yrs old, it's already dropped 1/2" if not 3/4" over that period. 2" drop springs should get the car down where i want it. i don't want to be slammed in the weeds, but it needs to be lowered to look right.

from the posts i've read, if i cut one coil off the front it should drop 1"(and considering those springs have already sagged in 30yrs), the one coil should get close to the 2" i want in the front.

any help (or prt#) to lower the rear 2"?

i appreciate the help.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
Does anyone know if rear A-body springs will work for a wagon?

Not trying to hijack but I don't want to make a seperate post.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
the front you can do drop spindles to do a 2" drop without messing with suspension geometry. all the g body aftermarket drop springs are actually not stiff enough for the wagons. all the manufactures websites suggest airbags for the wagons and elcaminos.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think A-body springs in the rear is a good choice, and have also heard that they work well. Can anyone deny or confirm this?
Using airbags are also commonly used to supplement load capacity.

I also would like to lower my wagon 2". It will entail removing/ replacing the rear cargo coils, and possibly cutting the front F41 springs. Going with MOOG # 5660's might be the other option. That will also entail cutting a half or so.

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
so no one has lowered a wagon without using OPG, EIBACH or some expensive spring? check these out from Classic Performance RCS6034-2; they are 2" drop for the rear. I've read posts on other sites where these drop a g body 3", so what you order would be RCS6034-1 to get 2" on a g body. has anybody here used them on a wagon?

also check this site - it's a fun toy to play with for springs, etc.

http://www.fme-cat.com/PassengerCarLightTruck.aspx

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
yeah, I've seen this chart here and a lot of other sites, it just doesn't offer any real info about dropping - or i'm just too stiff to see it in here.

85Frankencar said:
This site actually has a lot of good info on it for Moog springs:

http://jeffd.50megs.com/Moog_Spring_Page.htm

One thing to keep in mind too, if you do cut the springs you'll increase the spring rate (I used to know more about this but I haven't read about it in a while, sorry).

Good luck!

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Ringers said:
I used some monte Carlo springs in my wagon rear. Lowered it a couple inches.

I pulled rear springs from a cutlass sedan, I only got about 1/2" drop. maybe i'll try to get some from a monte

would you post a pic of yours?

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
I have A body rear springs in my wagon. I believe they were suppose to be for a 1972 cutlass (rear). The fronts are 3rd gen Camaro IROC springs with about 2/3 of a coil chopped sawed off. The best part is I bought each pair from Autozone and they were about $65 a pair. BTW I have a heavy 455 Pontiac up front. The car is no Canyon carver, but I am happy with the stance. See Avatar. Couldn't tell you how much it is lowered from stock but I would guess in the 2 1/2 to 3 inch range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor