Wagon tailgate adjustment help

Status
Not open for further replies.

5door79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 2, 2013
Hi guys,
New to the forum here. I just picked up a 1979 Malibu Wagon and the rear hatch rattles and its driving me crazy. With the hatch closed and the window down, I can pull the hatch in and out maybe 3/8" or so. Is there any way to tighten this up so there is no movement at all? This is my 1st wagon so any tips will be appreciated.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Very nice wagon. Welcome aboard!

This is a common problem with these wagons. There's no real tailgate adjustment per se, except maybe the tailgate latch.
Also check the U-shaped catch behind the hatch handle. They tend to wear a groove in them which causes a loose closing.
How's your rubber seals and bumpers? These are a few things I can think of at the moment. If anything comes to mind, I will pipe up again.

Thanks Paul! :D

5door79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 2, 2013
Longroof79 said:
Very nice wagon. Welcome aboard!

This is a common problem with these wagons. There's no real tailgate adjustment per se, except maybe the tailgate latch.
Also check the U-shaped catch behind the hatch handle. They tend to wear a groove in them which causes a loose closing.
How's your rubber seals and bumpers? These are a few things I can think of at the moment. If anything comes to mind, I will pipe up again.

Thanks Paul! :D
Thanks for the reply and the props! Ill have to check the seals and bumpers in the AM. What do the bumpers look like?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You'll notice small rubber blocks on each upper end of the tailgate...second thought, that wouldn't affect the rattling hatch window that much.
I would look at the latch first. If it seems too loose, perhaps you could use a piece of plastic or rubber tubing, slit it open and cover the U-shaped catch with it. Just a suggestion.

I know that squeak/rattle could be annoying.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
5door79 said:
Thanks. So the physical movement of the hatch itself isnt adjustable?
There is a slight bit of adjustment in the latch, but it's more or less to line up the catch with the latch...if that makes any sense.
As for the U-shaped catch/ latch whatever...like I mentioned earlier, they do tend to wear a groove in it where they make constant contact over the years. That does in effect create more play in hatch closing.
If that's the case, the latch could be removed and welded and ground smooth...or Like I said, you could try a piece thin wall plastic tubing or rubber hose.

How's the condition of the weatherstrip/ seal? I know they do become compressed over time, unless they've been replaced.

87 GN

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2009
Philly Area
Wrap the u shape catch on the glass with electrical tape several times and go for a ride if that fix's it then remove the tape and find a more permeant solution. On my car with tight seals it still rattled, I did the tape test and it stopped the noise so I then got a can of black plasti-dip and coated the u shape latch problem solved!

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
87 GN said:
Wrap the u shape catch on the glass with electrical tape several times and go for a ride if that fix's it then remove the tape and find a more permeant solution. On my car with tight seals it still rattled, I did the tape test and it stopped the noise so I then got a can of black plasti-dip and coated the u shape latch problem solved!

Good tip, Ed. Won't the Plasti-Dip wear away? It sounds like a good idea if it will stay on.

87 GN

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2009
Philly Area
Well I had my wagon together for about 8 months before I hurt the motor and ripped it apart for the restoration it held up for that 8 months not sure how long term it will last but its cheap and easy to reapply

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor