Fill roof rack holes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My roof rack is loose and grungy, so I removed it for now, maybe I'll restore it, maybe not. Thus, I needed to fill the 1/2" holes in the roof. If I was not replacing it, I would Marine-Tex the holes shut, and call it a day. But for now I needed to be able to keep out the water and still have holes. So I ordered a 100 lot of these 1/2" hole plugs on Epay for $9. I will probably use some sealer too, just so nothing gets in to ruin my new headliner. Also since the headliner clips are so darn hard to find, I dread the thought of dropping the headliner for any reason. And the rubber grommet/nuts that the rack screws go into? Are they even in existence? I would probably need to fabricate some kind of nut/washer/seal to use the rack ever again. Any ideas on this besides "junk the rack", because that is already high on my list.
$(KGrHqRHJEEFDz4p!+l+BQ-h!pNEmQ~~60_12.JPG

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Yes, you can still buy the wellnuts for the roof panel.

On my last wagon, I used PDR plugs with a little clear 3M plastic emblem adhesive to seal them, worked great and low profile. Paintable, too , if a guy wanted them to blend in a little more.

a38-39b-40b-41b_1__4.jpg

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Thank's Ribbedroof, I will see if I can get some wellnuts, that would make things easiest.

5door79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 2, 2013
I really dislike my roof rack. Those well nuts seem like a PITA to get out of the roof.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Mine were shot so I used the long screw to yank them out while grabbing the torn rubber with a long kitchen knife. They came out torn but intact. The brass nuts just spun uselessly.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
My rubber inserts were still intact, so I just matched up the original screws to some new ones that are only 1/2" long to fill the holes when I ditched my roof rack.
I'm not sure if they're visible in any of my pictures, but it's pretty self explanatory...

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I found them, the ones Ribbedroof mentioned. Clipsandfasteners.com as well as Epay. I just need to see what thread screws my car has, could be 1/4-20 or 6mm, lots of variations. As funky as the rack looks, it sure is easy to strap a ladder to it. This IS a working wagon. EDIT: M6 x 1.00 is the thread. I also ordered a bunch of 1/4"-20's as I just realized these are what they used to secure the license plate holders on Firebirds. EDIT: the black plastic hole filler things worked perfectly. A shmear of Ultra Black, popped them in, look great.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, I used these for now to waterproof the holes. Later if needed I can use the well nuts to replace the rack.
$(KGrHqRHJEEFDz4p!+l+BQ-h!pNEmQ~~60_12.JPG

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mark,
I think the cap plugs are a good alternative whether the rack stays or goes. They're nearly flush, so therefore they won't be an eyesore...and most importantly, it won't leak into the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor