Any tips for pulling the front glass out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

87 GN

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2009
Philly Area
Anyone have a procedure for pulling out the front glass, and the channel in the frame that the glass seals in?

I have never pulled glass from a full frame door, im sure I can figure it out but any tips or a parts diagram page from a GM manal would be helpful.

Even though the rear doors are different I have the same questions for the rear doors as well.

Thanks!

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Pull the weatherstrip out of the frame, pull the door panel off, loosen the glass and it should slip out.

87 GN

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2009
Philly Area
Weather stripping is out of the frame.

To get the glass out it does not unbolt from the track like a 2 door car its glued into the track. Looks like I have to remove the 2 bolts holding in the track and drill put the regulator rivets can anyone confirm this? I imagine putting it back in is going to suck equally...

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Ed,
It shouldn't have to require drilling out anything...and the window run channel/ weatherstrip does not have to be removed. Do you have power windows or manual? That could make a difference in removal.

I just loosen a few 10mm bolts on the window tracks. The glass should come out relatively easy.
There's a lower track that has a glide portion attached. That has two 10mm bolts as well. It requires a little juggling to get the glass out (and back in). It's a matter of freeing the slide from the mechanism. You'll have to use the crank to be able to free the window. Again, this is assuming that it has manual windows.

With the rear glass, you'll have to loosen up the vent window frames. The larger glass is held on by a lower(bracket) stop. You'll see it right below the glass, held on by a few small screws. With the stop removed, the glass will slide down. It can't be removed until you loosen the vent window frame which is held in place by a four small phillips head screws. One on top of the window frame, two on the vertical, or back of the frame, and one just under the vent window itself. It will be slightly hidden because it's behind the rubber weatherstrip.

I'll take a another look at the car to confirm this.

87 GN

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2009
Philly Area
So the trick is loosen the 2 10mm bolts that hold the track in place with the window with the glass down? and work the glass up and down to get the bottom roller guide out of the track? I didnt see any more bolts on the bottom of the track ill have to look again.

I have manual windows done dozens of 2 door g body's never a 4 door car. All I saw was the 2 10mms for the track.

I stopped there and went to work on a rear door had that thing tore down in 5 minutes

I had to remove the glass weatherstripping in the channel to get the rust taken care of under the top side moulding.

The top trim on every door is nothing more then a place to hold water and create rust!

This is what I dumped out of that piece of trim

87 GN

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2009
Philly Area
I got it Jack, went out and looked at it again. After removing the glass stop, lowering the glass all the way, and losening the track bolts then removing one of the track bolts it let me piviot the glass allowing me to remove it.

Thanks for the tips!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm glad that you got it figured out, Ed.
I hope I explained clearly enough. :? It's not difficult, it just takes a little manipulation to get it off the track and mechanism...and also guiding it thru the narrow opening.

87 GN

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2009
Philly Area
Removing the glass stop was the key. I had a rag sitting over top of the stop and didn't see it. Used to the 2 door cars they have the stops in different places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor