Exhaust help and Gauge help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2014
I'm Jason, I recently purchased a 1983 Malibu Wagon 1 owner with 21K original miles. It is equipped with a 3.8 229 V6 and is all original never touched no rust! The factory wheels were not on it so I powder coated them to get me by. I'm building a mild 350hp 358ci SBC to put in it, soon after I will be going with a 700r4 and a rear-end swap. I have a question. Can you run dual exhaust on it with plenty ground clearance or should I run a 3" single? I'm running full length headers and will be lowering the car about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in the future. Next question, my dash didn't come with oil, water, tach, gauges. If I wanted to install factory gauges will there be connections back there or do I need the harness for said gauges? Thank you! I will Post pics later, my files are too big to load on here.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
You can run dual exhaust no problem. If you are running headers, it is even easier. There are a few companies that sell it, you can buy one for a Monte Carlo or other G-body. Not all of the listings specify the wagon. You will need a "double hump" crossmember, something to allow for the pipes to pass under.

If you are planning on doing it yourself, there are plenty of resources and companies that sell what you need.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard Jason.
We'd love to see some pics of your Malibu wagon. Sounds like a great score.

Jim is right, you'd need a double hump cross member, or you could modify your existing x-member. You'd have to cut a notch into the driver side portion and weld in a piece of steel to retain the strength of the member. Not a big job.
You could go with a Jeg's x-member....or a large single pipe...that's your choices.

As for the factory gauges. The wiring should already be there. Not sure about the white tach wire though. That might have to be added.
Here's a link from a member and good friend. This should give you some insight on a gauge swap. http://www.gbodycentral.com/forums/show ... #post36748

sbc383rulz

Apprentice
Jul 1, 2013
Western Washington
I too have a 83 malibu wagon! My plan for dual exhaust and 700r4 swap is to use a gforce crossmember, the crossmember will need to be changed anyways and the gforce one is pretty cost effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor