1982 Malibu forgotten wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkdontstop82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2014
New to GbodyForum. Ive been into Classic cars for a long time , never came across this site until now.

The Build

1982 malibu wagon
Bought at around 74000 miles was sporting a 1979 350 with 2 bbl

Now sporting 1974 350 4 bolt with double pump head and a 650 holly
Also has headers aluminum intake and flow master 40s currently

funkdontstop82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2014
The store goes : This car is originally purchased in the mountains of North Carolina and never left the area until i bought it. The cars original motor 3.8 apperently was locked up by the original owners Son. Then the car sat for over a decade in the sun dry rotting and forgotten. Up the road from were i currently sleep is a scrap yard , where this car was taken at one point to be scraped and crushed.
The owner of the yard, is a huge car guy with lots of money, hes got classics coming in and out . People who bring him good cars get scrap value while he gets a steal, smart. This guy apparently dropped the 79 350 in there and sold it to the guy that i bought it from who only drove it to church and fun.
Never changed the oil as the evidence showed. He sold me the car and a 4 door parts car for a fair price.

Transmission went out 3 months after purchasing the car, got it fully rebuilt with a firm shift kit.

Steering box went out 1 year after driving. Along with motor.

My plan is to lower the car, keep it mostly stock in appearance but have it handle like a champ. Ill keep the paint the way it is until all the suspension is correct.
After that im going to paint it back the silver metallic blue it sports now.

And by the way this has been my daily drive for coming on 4 years. I F*CKin love driving this car.

funkdontstop82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2014

Parts car
Not into crushing cars, like them used to the last drop..however i crushed this puppy :idea: :wtf:

Made a good amount of money off parts , still have hood and interior parts left

funkdontstop82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2014
Motor Build

Original

What i found inside

At the time of this swap this was my only mode of trasportation...took the motor out of an impala project and put the better condition 74 in the wagon.

updated radiator to champion 2 row aluminum. that stays polished

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard!
Looks like a nice straight body to start out with. Glad to hear that you enjoy driving it. It will be more fun with a nice set of swaybars and assorted body bracing.
It looks like it won't take much to make it a cool cruiser. 8) The engine looks really good...love the finned aluminum valve covers.
I'm glad to see that you saved it and gave it a good home.

BTW, did the 4-dr parts car also come out of North Carolina, and is it an '81? The reason I ask is because I bought an '81 grille and HL doors from a guy in (Kannapolis) North Carolina, hometown of Dale Earnhardt. It looks just like the car he pictured. A clean metallic red 4-dr Malibu.

funkdontstop82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2014
Longroof79 said:
Welcome aboard!
Looks like a nice straight body to start out with. Glad to hear that you enjoy driving it. It will be more fun with a nice set of swaybars and assorted body bracing.
It looks like it won't take much to make it a cool cruiser. 8) The engine looks really good...love the finned aluminum valve covers.
I'm glad to see that you saved it and gave it a good home.

BTW, did the 4-dr parts car also come out of North Carolina, and is it an '81? The reason I ask is because I bought an '81 grille and HL doors from a guy in (Kannapolis) North Carolinam hometown of Dale Earnhardt. It looks just like the car he pictured. A clean metallic red 4-dr Malibu.

Thanks man. i recently got done rebuilding most of the front end. all i have left is the pitman arm and the idler arm and beef up the sway bar.The car was from carolina but it was in asheville.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I like the Mercedes hubcaps. I think that motor was not a 350, but a 267. These were the only V8s that came with a 2bbl carb. Doesn't matter now. I had this car's twin brother for a long time in the late 80's-90s. It was a stripper with windup windows and no roof rack. With a built 406 and a posi 3.73, I cut a 14.6 /82 quarter mile. That was a great car. The salt rot and surf rot wave fronts met. I finally found another one, and have to start over again.

Enjoy your treasure. You've come to the right place to find spares.

funkdontstop82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2014
Thanks guys!, actually those hubs are from a 1966 fury i used to have back in highschool. Caps looked amazing til one flew off and i never found it again, i just put some 15inch tru spokes on it. Ill post pics tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor