Need advice for Engine Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech4

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2010
Hello folks, I have a 1983 wagon with a 6 and I want to drop a 350 I have in the garage. The question I have 1) do I just get motor mounts for a V8 and 2) what do I do about the ECM. I am putting a V8 from 1975. I was wondering if the ignition is tied to ECM and would disable the motor or I can just ignore it?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
tech4 said:
Hello folks, I have a 1983 wagon with a 6 and I want to drop a 350 I have in the garage. The question I have 1) do I just get motor mounts for a V8 and 2) what do I do about the ECM. I am putting a V8 from 1975. I was wondering if the ignition is tied to ECM and would disable the motor or I can just ignore it?

1. V8 motors both sides of the clam shell (at the engine and frame); and

2. What computer was used on a V6 in 1983? Just run the 1975 HEI distributor - add power and go.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2485
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=974
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2020

tech4

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2010
Thanks for the links to the other post. I find it weird how I couldn't find them when I tried he search myself.

They have an ODB1 ECM in 1983. Since the ECM cannot read things like O2 sensor, coolant temp sensor, it make the car run really rich. It has a feed back loop carb which is controlled by the ECM. Does a carb from 75 fit on a 83 manifold? I will have to look into that but I have a V8 ready to drop I figure it is the painless way to go.

Thank you for the help.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
What kind of 350 are you putting in? Here's the general V6 to V8 swap tech, in light of not knowing what sort of 350 you're putting in:

-Replace frame mounts, unless you're going from a Buick V6 to a Buick V8
-Relocate fuel line to correct side if necessary
-Relocate battery and wiring to correct side of motor if necessary
-Assuming you're eliminating computer, use non-CCC HEI distributor
-Hook up starter, alternator, distributor, engine grounds, gauge sensors from drivers side harness
-Tend to heater-fan-high-setting-relay-to-starter-wire connector if melted
-Unless using AC or cruise control, you should be able to dispense with all passenger side big-harness wires
-V6 radiator may or may not be sufficient
-Replace fan shroud and radiator top plate with V8 parts
-Radiator hoses should be the same as OE config V8 cars
-If changing trans type or going true duals, crossmember will need mods

Check out my build thread for more details. Good luck.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
I think it's even a bit more (or less) involved than that. It also matters which V6 is in the car. I've seen both 231 (Buick) and 229 (Chevrolet) in B Bodies.

If it's 231 to 350 Buick it should be a bolt and the same with 229 to 350 Chevrolet.......with the exception of upgrading cooling, springs, exhaust etc.......same as going from a 229 to a 350 Chevrolet.

If going from a Buick V6 to Chevrolet V8 or the other way around then the wiring harness, motor mounts fuel lines etc listed above apply. Additionally if going Buick to Chevy engine or Chevy to Buick, Olds or Pontiac (BOP) engine the transmission will need to be replaced unless it's the type that has the multi-fit bellhousing with bosses for either engine type.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Hey if your worried about the ecm in your swap dont worry about it just leave it plugged in.
I just got done switching my fuel injected truck over to carb and it runs so yours should be much easier.
Just get a non ecm controlled dizzy switch it for an HEI should be good to go.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
tech4 said:
Thanks for the links to the other post. I find it weird how I couldn't find them when I tried he search myself.

They have an ODB1 ECM in 1983. Since the ECM cannot read things like O2 sensor, coolant temp sensor, it make the car run really rich. It has a feed back loop carb which is controlled by the ECM. Does a carb from 75 fit on a 83 manifold? I will have to look into that but I have a V8 ready to drop I figure it is the painless way to go.

Thank you for the help.

That is weird. I have an '86 Monte Carlo CL sitting outside with a Buick 3.8L and I don't think that there is a trace of a computer or a CCC? Go figure.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
motorheadmike said:
That is weird. I have an '86 Monte Carlo CL sitting outside with a Buick 3.8L and I don't think that there is a trace of a computer or a CCC? Go figure.

That is strange, I thought that by '83 or so they all had CCC. Maybe it was converted previously, or maybe there was a regional thing with this, sort of like 305s instead of 307s in Canada Oldsmobiles and Buicks?

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Intragration said:
motorheadmike said:

That is strange, I thought that by '83 or so they all had CCC. Maybe it was converted previously, or maybe there was a regional thing with this, sort of like 305s instead of 307s in Canada Oldsmobiles and Buicks?

As far as i know correct me if im wrong. OBD1 came around before 83 but that is the year it really took off in production cars. But non ccc were still around up untill mid 86. 87 it became standard on about 99% of cars also due to fuel injection also becoming standard mid 86 - 87

I think i learned that in school but im alittle cloudy too so that could be a bunch of crap so take it with a grain of salt lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor