1980 Malibu Wagon Build Starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

1983mailbuwagon

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2009
Bought the car out of Tucson Az 4 years ago, been sitting since the 1000 mile journey home but let the new build start,

Didnt need another car but my uncle was out in Tucson, and it is was rust free so i said what the heck, Car was a bone stock 305 v8 car, has a/c and cruise, and wasnt brown

the day it came home off the trailer

about a year after sitting in my shop collecting dust, found a set of 15x7 rallys to match the 15x8 that were on the back. car was suppose to have the stock 14's on it when i talked to the
guy in Az, when I got the car had 15's kinda a bonus. uncle brought it back for me, that picture was the first time i saw the car in person,

Car with 15x7 front and 15x8 rallys with police center caps, also had a set of iroc rear coil springs i had laying around so I threw them in the back

Car sat for another 2 years, Had a bunch of people bugging me to sell it but i was paid for and didnt need the money, could have used the space lol

Picked up a set of 17x7 and 17x8 american racing tourque thrust II wheels for the car

and thats where the car sat til now,

Attachments

• IMG_0161[1].JPG
    IMG_0161[1].JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 1,498
  • IMG_2162[1].JPG
    IMG_2162[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,428
  • IMG_3173[1].JPG
    IMG_3173[1].JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,201

1983mailbuwagon

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2009
so the car got hit with mold, all over the interior, seats and carpet, headliner got screwed, it was good,

took it in to my insurance,

They told me that they were going crush it! I couldnt keep it that it was a health hazard.

then they told be that i could keep it but it would be deemed for parts only,

after 3 months of fighting, made a deal with the insurance company,

basically without boring you guys with the details, the car is deemed parts only right now, had to get an air test done, strip the car, let them look at it, rebuild the interior with new interior
easy to find right ! not! then get another air test. hope it passes and then they are going to change it back to a normal title, I hope.

Car going to my work for a full steam wash,

the start of tearing out the interior

Carpet is out - check out the nice clean floor

Attachments

• IMG_5398[1].JPG
    IMG_5398[1].JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,203
  • IMG_5517[1].JPG
    IMG_5517[1].JPG
    983.6 KB · Views: 1,192
  • IMG_5521[1].JPG
    IMG_5521[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,195

1983mailbuwagon

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2009
Took down the headliner next! man I hate doing those,

Next is pulling the motor, transmission, heater box, dash and door panels

Attachments

• IMG_5667[1].JPG
    IMG_5667[1].JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,191

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Kevin,
That's a nice clean car to begin with. I wish mine was that nice when I got it. I could see why guys were interested in buying it. It looks great with the American TT II's.
Are the seats vinyl or fabric?

I hope you're able to straighten the title out on it. So it's classified as a parts or salvage car then.

1983mailbuwagon

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2009
Jack,

Basically the title is PARTS ONLY right now, just hope i can get it back on the road,

yes the interior was burgundy, mold hit mostly all the soft parts, seats,carpet,seat belts, seats were fabric , factory split bench with arm rest,

and yup, got new seats, carpet, dash, headliner, door panels

the interior wont be burgundy when im done- stay tuned :)

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Kevin,
I also hope you're able to get it back on the road. That's too bad about the mold situation. Is the back seat upholstery completely moldy? The reason I ask is because I'm doing my interior in burgundy, my back seat is still red and i'd like to redo it in burgundy fabric or velour to match the Monte Carlo buckets. If I could find burgundy backseat fabric, I'd recover mine.

As you said, good interior parts are getting harder to find these days.

Keep us updated on your progress. BTW, I assume this car will be done milder than your '83 wagon.. No hydraulics.

oranGekrate

Greasemonkey
Oct 25, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Man I feel bad for you and the interior issue. I live in high humidity area in the woods. All my cars mold lol. I use an arsenal of enzyme solution to eat the mold. It works well, but after it does it's job you need to really get things dried out. I would think you could power wash your carpets and seats, use the enzyme solution, and dry the heck out of it all. There are dehumidifiers you can use to keep the mold away...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046W ... LR0MSOYZ8O

1983mailbuwagon

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2009
meh sh*t happens,

Just gives me a reason to change up things,

1983mailbuwagon

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2009
Jack,

My 83 is on air ride, and yes this one will be a little more milder

and about the back seat its probably usable but shipping would kill you.

Longroof79 said:
Kevin,
I also hope you're able to get it back on the road. That's too bad about the mold situation. Is the back seat upholstery completely moldy? The reason I ask is because I'm doing my interior in burgundy, my back seat is still red and i'd like to redo it in burgundy fabric or velour to match the Monte Carlo buckets. If I could find burgundy backseat fabric, I'd recover mine.

As you said, good interior parts are getting harder to find these days.

Keep us updated on your progress. BTW, I assume this car will be done milder than your '83 wagon.. No hydraulics.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Kevin,
I know shipping is crazy from where you are. I was actually considering the seat upholstery, not the complete seat structure. I know shipping on the complete backseat would not be worth it. It would entail stripping the upholstery off of the seat frame and foam.
I won't put you thru that... :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor