roof racks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeselky85

Apprentice
Jul 29, 2009
hello,
was wondering if anybody uses roof racks on their wagon. i used to use the factory one for bike storage but it proved to be very flimsy. recently i bought a Yakima rack system that mounts to the drip rails and it is super sturdy! this is on my 1983 olds cutlass cruiser and i managed to strap a couch to this thing the other day. not sure if anybody uses their wagon, but if you do i figured i would start a discussion to see what you guys use your for, and i also wanted to pass along a good alternative to the flimsy factory rack system. I will post pictures of the setup later, so far i have two bike mounts and i will be adding a basket with a few things.

I use my wagon everyday, and it gets used to transport bikes and whatever we need when we travel with the bikes. not sure if im the only one that does this with a gbody wagon :?:

mikeselky85

Apprentice
Jul 29, 2009

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    787.4 KB · Views: 1,106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    847.9 KB · Views: 780
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    916.8 KB · Views: 888
Aug 4, 2014
Ellensburg/Seattle
Oh man I was just thinking about how a aftermarket roof rack would look on my Malibu wagon, the stock one is kinda flimsy compared to Yakima or Thule. I wonder how it would look with a fairing?

mikeselky85

Apprentice
Jul 29, 2009
I could let you know about the fairing. I will possibly be getting one because the racks is pretty noisy by itself.
And the rack is way stronger, I can rock the whole car by tugging the whole rack with no flex in the mounts. They attach to the rain gutter which is a super strong mount
tepusara.jpg

Here's a picture of me and the wife's bikes on there as well

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mike,
Is the rack a universal type unspecific to any one type of vehicle? Also if you could post a part/ model #. I removed my original rack which is more for style than function. I like the thought of having a rack that can be used off and on and removed when not being used.

mikeselky85

Apprentice
Jul 29, 2009
It is a yakima universal rain gutter base rack. You can just go in the website and put in an 80s Malibu wagon and it will give you all the stuff you need. I think total for the rack was about $250 or so.
The rack is easily removed as well. It's just 4 clamps that hook to the rain gutters, and can also be outfitted with locks so that nobody can steal it.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks for the information. I like the racks that attach to the rain gutters. You don't see much of that today, probably because many new cars no longer have the old style rain gutters.
Good lookin' Cutlass Crusier, BTW. 8)

mikeselky85

Apprentice
Jul 29, 2009
Yeah no cars have them. I was surprised to find a rack system that worked this good.
And also thanks, it's my wife's. She found it online and we got it for a steal, needed a decent daily in good shape

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Your wife has good taste indeed. They do make great daily drivers. Mine had been a daily driver for over 20+ yrs. It's not a daily driver any longer.
Do you still have the El Camino?

mikeselky85

Apprentice
Jul 29, 2009
Yes I still have the elcamino. It's hard to use as a daily, since being turned into an auto x car.
And yes she does have good taste, her actual car is an 81 two door Malibu that we are finishing up. That way I can have fun with the wagon a little haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor