1981 Malibu Wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2014
Ellensburg/Seattle
Hey guys, new member here, although I have been browsing this website for years I just barely thought of making an account. I have had a couple of Regals and a couple Cutlass' and also an El Camino. I just have a thing for G-body's. Well recently I got a pretty good deal on a Malibu Wagon.

Anyway let me share the story of how I got it, about a week ago my grandpa told me about a little Toyota wagon one of his friends had for sale and that I should go take a look at it since I needed a car. Since grandpa said it was really clean and well taken care of I decided to go take a look. When I got to my grandpa's friends property the Toyota wasn't there and neither was his friend. However in the corner of his property I spot the rear end of a Malibu wagon, being a fan of G-body's I decide to go take a look. Well to say this wagon was a barn find isn't totally true it was more like I found a barn inside the wagon! This thing was dirty to say the least. I asked grandpa about it and he says his friend just uses it to haul scrap to the junk yard, I was like I could tell! However the wagon looked straight and although the interior was filthy it was all there. I opened the drivers door and took a seat inside, I looked around the wagon a bit and saw the keys on the passenger seat. I couldn't resist and fired her up, she started on the first try after giving her a few pumps of gas of course. Against my grandpas wishes I took her for a short drive, grandpa really wanted me to get something newer and more fuel efficient. Anyways she ran great aside from the fuel gauge not working and needing brakes, everything else works, even blows ice cold AC. I asked grandpa how much his friend wanted for the Malibu and he said he didn't no but his friend was probably just going to scrap it after he was done using it. So later that evening I offered friend $300 for the wagon and after some tough negotiation we came to an agreement at $500 bucks which I think is not bad especially considering how good it runs.

For now I cleaned it up a bit and threw on some olds rallies I picked up from my cousin. My brothers friend is about to give it a good detail and I will post some more pics as I try and give it some much needed TLC.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard!
To say you scored is an understatement....you stole that puppy... :lol: It looks to be in really nice condition.
What are your ultimate plans for it?

Aug 4, 2014
Ellensburg/Seattle
Longroof79 said:
Welcome aboard!
To say you scored is an understatement....you stole that puppy... :lol: It looks to be in really nice condition.
What are your ultimate plans for it?

Well I just moved across state to finish my education, so money is a little tight. However this summer I plan to paint all the interior plastics, get all new weather stripping/felt lining, new brakes, new headliner, and also figure out how to get gas gauge needle to work, I think its just a bad float in fuel tank.

My ultimate plans are to ditch the V6 for a 350! I want to have a nice daily cruiser wagon that goes fast.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Well, it's a great start... sometimes other things take precedence, so just work within your budget.
As you mentioned, upgrade the mechanicals first... drive and enjoy it while you improve it.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor