4.3 TBI in wagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
I've been doing dome G body research and saw that some 4.3 V6 Montes came with TBI in the later years. Does anyone know if wagons ever had that option or were the wagons deleted from the build roster before TBI came out?

Thanks for any info on this. :D

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
TBI did not start in the G-bodies until (1986 or) 1987. The Malibu in all body styles ceased production in 1983, leaving the Monte Carlo and El Camino through the 1988 model year. I tried looking up TBI stuff on 1978/88 El Camino, but RockAuto does not have much. Others with detailed knowledge should weigh in.

I purchased a 1987 Monte Carlo in-tank TBI fuel sender from GM to support putting a RamJet 350 in my coupe, but the wagon tank is a different shape. I recall in the thread listed above that the Forum member purchased an Astro van sender and it lined up pretty close. Another experiment could be to locate a full-size 1987+ Chevy truck fuel sender and see if that would go to the bottom of the wagon tank. Don't forget that these old school tanks had no fuel baffle at the bottom, to keep the fuel from running away from the pickup at low tank levels and hard turns/launches.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
It was mid year 85 when the TBI was introduced. I have a El Camino sending unit and tank (not for sale) that if you need any mesurments or pictures I can help.

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
I don't think the El Camino tank and the station wagon tank are even close to being enterchanging. IIRC, the wagon tank is offset to make room for the spare tire well.

Doug

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
My cross the street neighbor has an 82ish Elky and he had the tank out over the weekend. The wagon tank is quite a bit taller/ deeper. I saw a pic of a GN tank (I think) and where the sending unit sat was pretty tall.

I need an electric pump pretty bad, I get wicked vapor lock when racing and the car is hot lapping in the afternoon. I figured I could set it up with an in tank TBI pump (about 12 psi) and calm it down to 7 psi with a regulator. Later on when I get to an LS swap I simply change the pump to a high pressure for the EFI. Looking for an option that will require the least amount of mods to the the sending unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor