hello fellow wagon lovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

finkous

Greasemonkey
Sep 3, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hello.... I have always been a huge fan of the wagon, no matter what it is, but have always had a soft spot for the malibu. I got one a few years ago but have never had the time to start on my project due to other issues, but now that the majority of those issues have been resolved I recently have picked up another "81 malibu wagon...

Some of my near future plans are to take out the old small block and replace it with a big block, lower it a bit, shave off a few things install buckets with floor shift, retractable canvas sunroof, and maybe a few other small mods along the way.... I look forward to reading what other guys have sweated, puzzled, banged knuckles and many sleepless nights to get to where thier car is today, and sharing info and stories with guys with the same passion....

I will post pics as soon as i figure out how to hahaha

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard fellow wagon pusher.
You've come to the right place for information, camaraderie, etc.
Looking forward to seeing pics of your wagon project, and progress reports.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Welcome to the site.

Doug

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
I did that same thing over the last couple years. Have a look at what it takes if you don't want to pay someone to do it. The 82 Malibu thrash thread.
Cheers, Matt

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
3 mos and only one post? What's goin' on?

finkous

Greasemonkey
Sep 3, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
haha sorry guys, its winter here now and the sleds have been brought out so not much progress on the wagon... but I have taken the big block out of the donor truck and stripped it down. my mechanic friends have been tossing around different ideas and options and estimated costs of building engines and I tell ya, my heads about to explode....
Option 1: rebuild the 454 I have now to a slightly above stock for around 7 grand
Option 2: purchase turn key small block 454 from Ohiocrank.com in the states for about 7 grand US
Option 3: find donor LS6 small block and rebuild and have about 440 h.p for around 4 grand
Option 4: buy direct from GM a crate 350hp 350 for about 6 grand
originally I wanted the "WOW" factor of the big block under the hood and I am still leaning toward that but like I said, my heads about to explode on deciding...

what are some inputs of the guys on here??? a few people around me say that the big blocks gonna be a thirsty monster n matter what I do to it and never be great on fuel milage. I do plan on doing some cruising on the open hi ways once in a while to different car shows

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey....you did come back..... :lol:
My opinion, scrap the big block and go with the LS engine. It's lighter, more efficient.. fuel and power wise. The big block is a torque monster, no doubt, but for a dependable cruiser, I'd go with the LS. It doesn't have to be an LS6, I think you'd be happy with an LSX, LS1, 2, 3, etc.

Before your head explodes, figure out what your budget is and plan accordingly. Sit down... and formulate a plan, and then start pricing out what it will ultimately cost you to do the swap from start to finish.

What trans are you using? What rear end? Factor in all your upgrades as well.

finkous

Greasemonkey
Sep 3, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
haha ya, we have had a crazy warm spell here in alberta, and melted most of our snow away, so its back giving attention to the 'bu
Thanks for your input as I respect that... bottom line is, I want it to be reliable. Its not gonna be a wheel standin, tire burnin, neck snappin monster. I just want it to be a bit quicker than your normal cruiser and to sound good as it idles at the lights. I have another donor with a 700R4 overdrive transmission that is a possibility and as far as the reared I haven't looked to see exactly what it is but I'm sure its OEM .
The motor thats in the car now is a old 307 out of a pickup and a turbo 350 transmission, It has factory A/C that might come out, I'm not a fan of A/C as I am more of a roll the window down and feel the breeze blow thru kinda guy, and my donor wagon doesn't have A/C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor