Need info on converting power to manual steering

Status
Not open for further replies.

84hurstdarrin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 14, 2008
I have a 1988 Monte Carlo SS and want to convert the power steering to manual steering , what parts do I need to get to do this, I heard a S-10 manual gearbox? From what years S-10 ? Any other parts needed

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
mid 80's to early 90's would be the ones to look for. Not sure on the exact year breaks.

The above is all you need to do. I think the pitman arm length may be differant so get it too so you can compare lengthwise.

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
The above is correct. And it's a direct bolt on replacement.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I've never compared an S-10 arm with the correct manual G-body pitman arm, has anyone else? I'm curious if it is exactly the same or "close enough"? I used the 81' Malibu arm that came with the car because the crummy 600 series steering box (snap ring cover) was the same smaller diameter as the manual box. The 800 series box (4 bolt cover) is larger.

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
What's the reason for doing this ? it's goona be harder to steer lol Someone please explain

knowyourenemy66

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2011
Panama City, Florida
I have an '78 regal [street car] that I converted. I used the box and arm from an '85 s-10. Both arms are the same in my setup. This may not be true in all situations. The advantages are; no pulley drag from the pump to the crankshaft [free horsepower] and less weight [less weight is faster]. I have a very light regal, 2500 lbs. It has been gutted, has a fiberglass front clip and I run 4" wide tires on the front. Steers easily with one hand, just like power steering even when sitting still.

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
knowyourenemy66 said:
I have an '78 regal [street car] that I converted. I used the box and arm from an '85 s-10. Both arms are the same in my setup. This may not be true in all situations. The advantages are; no pulley drag from the pump to the crankshaft [free horsepower] and less weight [less weight is faster]. I have a very light regal, 2500 lbs. It has been gutted, has a fiberglass front clip and I run 4" wide tires on the front. Steers easily with one hand, just like power steering even when sitting still.

Thanks, That should clean the engine bay up some more,not having a pump or the lines down in there,I Think i read some were on here that They only use 2 bolts an not 3 is that right ?

knowyourenemy66

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2011
Panama City, Florida
The '85 manual box I used has 3 bolts. Bolts right in without any problems. After I took the installed pic, I did go back and replace factory rag joint and shaft with a double D shaft and aftermarket u-joint. I replaced it because I didn't like the feel at the steering wheel. Before swapping over, I greased the box [internally]. To grease it, I removed the 4 bolts and top cover and filled with quality wheel bearing grease. To tighten up play, after installing the box, just loosen the center jam nut and turn the center bolt [clockwise, if I remember correctly]. Adjustment removes play not stiffness. Stiffness is affected by frontend weight and tire width.

Attachments

• s10 manual steering box.jpg
    s10 manual steering box.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,758
  • s10 manual steering box installed.JPG
    s10 manual steering box installed.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 4,467

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
knowyourenemy66 said:
The '85 manual box I used has 3 bolts. Bolts right in without any problems. After I took the installed pic, I did go back and replace factory rag joint and shaft with a double D shaft and aftermarket u-joint. I replaced it because I didn't like the feel at the steering wheel. Before swapping over, I greased the box [internally]. To grease it, I removed the 4 bolts and top cover and filled with quality wheel bearing grease. To tighten up play, after installing the box, just loosen the center jam nut and turn the center bolt [clockwise, if I remember correctly]. Adjustment removes play not stiffness. Stiffness is affected by frontend weight and tire width.

That looks good,i think i may start looking for one,i got 6' inch wide tires or wider on there,That going to be an issues ? i dont plan to change my rims,there 8" i plan to do the jeep streering shaft upgrade as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor