HELP my car wont start!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1984-monte-carlo-ss

G-Body Guru
May 30, 2011
Long Island, New York
i tried starting my 84 SS today and it wouldnt start, it cranks but it wont start. i just installed a B&M star shifter in it yesterday and i didnt have time to put a neutral safety switch in yesterday which what i was going to do today and it started right up yesterday when i put the shifter in. i didnt pull any wires but it still doesnt start, like i said it cranks but it doesnt start. please help!

lildhix

Master Mechanic
Jan 9, 2011
wait wait it cranks but dont start?

lildhix

Master Mechanic
Jan 9, 2011
1984-monte-carlo-ss said:
lildhix said:
yeaa i bought a new battery like 2 weeks ago and i know its not drained
so it act like it wants to crank but it doesnt?
or it fires up but wont stay crunk?
its kinda comfusing on how it cranks but wont start lol aint it the same thing

1984-monte-carlo-ss

G-Body Guru
May 30, 2011
Long Island, New York
lildhix said:
1984-monte-carlo-ss said:
lildhix said:
yeaa i bought a new battery like 2 weeks ago and i know its not drained
so it act like it wants to crank but it doesnt?
or it fires up but wont stay crunk?
its kinda comfusing on how it cranks but wont start lol aint it the same thing
well ill put it this way lol the engine it turning over but it doesnt start

lildhix

Master Mechanic
Jan 9, 2011
try checking starter fluid

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Verify you are getting fuel and spark. 2 most common things to keep an engine from starting. Check for fuel by removing the fuel line going into the carb, stick the fuel line in a bottle or gas can and have someone crank the car over, if its pumping fuel into the bottle you have fuel, for the most part. Hook the gas line back up, clean up any spilled gas. Next take out the number 1 spark plug, this would be driver side 1st plug. Or remove whichever plug is easiest to get to. Put the spark plug in the spark plug wire, lay the spark plug on something like the frame where the tip is almost touching. DONT HOLD THE SPARK PLUG IN YOUR HAND!! Just lay it on something. Have someone roll the car over while watching it, you should see a strong blue spark. If you do not see a spark you have no spark. Common causes, bad ignition module, bad coil. Do those test and get back to us.

1984-monte-carlo-ss

G-Body Guru
May 30, 2011
Long Island, New York
CHRIS.O said:
Verify you are getting fuel and spark. 2 most common things to keep an engine from starting. Check for fuel by removing the fuel line going into the carb, stick the fuel line in a bottle or gas can and have someone crank the car over, if its pumping fuel into the bottle you have fuel, for the most part. Hook the gas line back up, clean up any spilled gas. Next take out the number 1 spark plug, this would be driver side 1st plug. Or remove whichever plug is easiest to get to. Put the spark plug in the spark plug wire, lay the spark plug on something like the frame where the tip is almost touching. DONT HOLD THE SPARK PLUG IN YOUR HAND!! Just lay it on something. Have someone roll the car over while watching it, you should see a strong blue spark. If you do not see a spark you have no spark. Common causes, bad ignition module, bad coil. Do those test and get back to us.
ok ill do that tomorrow thanks! and nice avitar lol 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor