how many Monte SS's were made in 84?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1984-monte-carlo-ss

G-Body Guru
May 30, 2011
Long Island, New York
hey guys just thinking about my car and i know that there were 24,050 Monte Carlo SS's produced in 84. does anybody know how many were made with a full bench seat? hope someone can help me out because i really wanna know lol thanks

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
Hard to tell because I think that was more of an option than a preset feature, not sure...

Taken off a search I did (wikipedia or something):
The SS was a hit not only in the car-buying public, (starving for some power after the hefty emissions regulations of the late 1970s) but also in NASCAR competition, where it continued to be a winning body style after the 1984 season successes. Production picked up, and 112,730 sport coupes were sold as 1984 year model coupes. An additional 24,050 had the SS option (with an 180 hp (130 kW) 305 V8 that saw a 5 hp (3.7 kW) boost from the previous year), having an asking price of US$10,700. The Monte Carlo SS was available with Strato bucket seats and floor console as extra-cost options for the first time in place of the standard split bench seat with armrest (the Strato buckets also returned as an option on the regular Monte after a two-year absence). The regular Monte Carlo came standard with a 125 hp (93 kW) 229 CID V6 (231 CID V6 for California) and a 165 hp (123 kW) 305 V8 was optional. Available for the last year in a base Monte Carlo was the 350 CID diesel engine, and there were only 168 manufactured. All engines for 1984 got the three-speed automatic transmission with the exception of three SSs at the end of the 1984 production run that received the Turbo Hydramatic 200-R4 transmission with overdrive.
In 1984, there were a limited number of Monte Carlo SSs made in Mexico, for Mexico sale. The differences are many in the Mexican to US/Canadian SSs. There was no rear spoiler. The rims are 14" checker style, an option on the base Monte Carlos in the US. The side mirrors are different style and black. The interior is that of a Grand Prix, in blue. The engine is a 350, 265 hp (198 kW) (unconfirmed) and 350 lbf·ft (470 N·m) of torque (unconfirmed), and got a 4-speed manual with Hurst shifter.

Dugan

Greasemonkey
Jun 15, 2011
Do you need the bench seat? haha I have one laying around we just put in the back of a pickup for spectating

khw1990

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
Bump...

I imported one from Mexico and have it in Philadelphia, Pa atm. Hands down the coolest G-Body Monte Carlo SS (or G-body overall). If you have questions as away!

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
khw1990 said:
Bump...

I imported one from Mexico and have it in Philadelphia, Pa atm. Hands down the coolest G-Body Monte Carlo SS (or G-body overall). If you have questions as away!

What makes it the "coolest" ? not being a smart *ss, I don't know too much about the Mexico montes other than they came with them weird looking checkered rims.You got a pic of it ?

khw1990

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
skulledmonte84 said:
khw1990 said:
Bump...

What makes it the "coolest" ? not being a smart *ss, I don't know too much about the Mexico montes other than they came with them weird looking checkered rims.You got a pic of it ?

No worries SkulledMonte84, I get what you mean. It is coolest (at least to me) because it is the only example that came with a 350 cu. and 4 speed transmission from the Factory. The cars (200 in total) were originally used by Chevrolet to qualify their new Monte Carlo Nascar entry hence the setup (I commonly call it a Nascar Monte Carlo when explaining it). Its on the lines of finding a RWD fusion or Camry with a 350ci V8 and a 4 speed manual, they just don't sell those to the public in the US. When people walk by it on the street and look inside and see the 4 speed hurst shifter, pontiac grand prix interior, and speedo in KPH they lose their minds (insert joker meme). I will post up pictures tonight and PM you when they are up :)

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
WOW 200 that is pretty cool.i never knew all that lol .i heard one time before that 81-88 NEVER came with 350's an if someone told me they did there lying not saying your lying, just that's what i heard,Yea id like to see pic's i may have seen one in my 8 years of owning my 84 monte ss clone

khw1990

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
Here are some photos followed by a COPY of the original purchase receipt. I have the original and the Mexican title ofcourse :p

Attachments

• IMG_1560.JPG
    IMG_1560.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,431
  • IMG_1558.JPG
    IMG_1558.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 2,455
  • IMG_1556.JPG
    IMG_1556.JPG
    973.3 KB · Views: 844
  • CAM00080.jpg
    CAM00080.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 900

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
that's nice man

khw1990

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
Sorry for the long hiatus everyone! But I have good news! I got the car into the US and am now looking for a Gbody enthusiast to take her home!

Check out this thread I started on the For Sale side of the site:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=54475

I love the car and I hope that someone else with GBody love will find it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor