About the mexican Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

DI_Knight

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2013
Mexico
Hey guys. Well, I just come back to this site after a long absence with the intention to contribute. As I remember there was some controversy over Mexican montecarlo features and I'm bringing a good example of one of them.

The Monte Carlo was sold here from 1981 to 1984 and there were 2 versions: Landau and SS

The Landau was sold the 4 years, however to find a 1984 Landau is more difficult to find a SS in mint shape, because most '84 cars were SS. There were many differences with american models. Inside you had a Pontiac GP interior and under the hood they all came with a 4bbl 350. Many people say it was a 260 hp version but honestly I think it had 180 hp. All of them came with a TH350 and there were many power accesories as options available.

The SS was sold only in 1984 and it was a special edition model. It had Bilstein springs, Dana 44 rear end and a 4 speed syncromesh manual transmission with Hurst shifter and the same engine as the previous years. The interior had aluminum alike bars or woody grain. It had wood steering wheel too. That car came out just with A/C, power locks and radio as only options like in the old times. It had a different pattern outside stickers and was available in two colors: white and dark blue.

Here are some pictures of a 1981 Landau:

Here a link to a flickr album to a all stock SS:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27078515@N ... 712716990/

Any other doubt I'll try to answer, grettings guys!

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Re: About the MexiCarlo

Such a cool part of G-Body history. 8) Thanks for the info on the Landau!
If I were a car collector like Jay Leno, there's no doubt I'd have a Mexican SS in my fleet.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Landau must mean somthing different in Mexico, in your pictures it is a hardtop SC (sport coupe). The landau just refers to the vinyl top on some of the Montes.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The Pontiac dash looks at home in those cars.
If I'm not mistaken, the landau models have the aluminum (or plastic) B-pillar trim, much like the Malibu landau models. However, I've never seen a Monte Carlo landau before.
I would love to find one of those Mexican Monte SS's...yeah, me a million other guys. :wink:

Thanks for sharing the pics.

DI_Knight

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2013
Mexico
Yep. Some time ago I was wondering the same thing till I found that they call "Landau" to that luxury version and the vinyl roof was optional. Vinyl roof came in a package with moonroof and Pontiac steering wheel as well like this one which is currently for sale:

http://auto.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-421 ... ortivo-_JM

I wish I had that money...

JayPeasy

Apprentice
May 19, 2012
DI_Knight said:
Yep. Some time ago I was wondering the same thing till I found that they call "Landau" to that luxury version and the vinyl roof was optional. Vinyl roof came in a package with moonroof and Pontiac steering wheel as well like this one which is currently for sale:

http://auto.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-421 ... ortivo-_JM

I wish I had that money...

are you sure thats not 48000 pesos? LOL I absolutely LOVE those Mexican montes tho, awesome combinations...
thats a ridiculous difference from the 2500$ i paid for my Base 305 Texas model with 77,000 miles...A+ condition.

JayPeasy

Apprentice
May 19, 2012
i wonder if we could fit one of those dashes in our montes, and if they have aftermarket versions.. I think the bonnivilles had that dash too.. I want the seats too! LOL any links? I wanna build a clone mexico monte!! lolz

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
I would love to have me one of those Dana 44 rears for my car.

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
JayPeasy said:
i wonder if we could fit one of those dashes in our montes, and if they have aftermarket versions.. I think the bonnivilles had that dash too.. I want the seats too! LOL any links? I wanna build a clone mexico monte!! lolz

Yes sir! Lots of G-bodies around with Bonne/Lemans/Grand Am dashes installed. Some with after market gauges installed.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor