86 Monte Carlo Street/Strip Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcogar86

n00b
Dec 6, 2013
Hey, guys I'm in the process of starting a build on my Monte Carlo and have some questions. I've done my research and after about a year of it I'm not closer to making any decisions and hope you can guide me along my way. As of now my car is a stock 86 Monte Carlo SS with T-Tops. I would like it to be a low 10's car or high 9's. I would like the car to be somewhat street able. I like the idea of driving it 45 miles to the strip and driving it home. I'll list below things I am considering and please feel free to chime in. Can anyone tell me what horse power I'm going to have to achieve to get a all steel full interior caged G-Body into my goal range?

6.0 LS Stock or 408 stoker
9 inch or 8.5
TH400 or Powerglide
Stock LS ignition or Aftermarket
Do I need to Mini Tub the Car or can I get away without? (What size drag radial will hook)
Since its a T-Top Car Do I need to cage it/ If so 8.50/9.99
Keep Stock Steering or do Rack and Pinion

I hope you get the idea of my general goal with the car Ive been pretty lost so far. I do have a good buddy that owns a shop I can get rear uppers and lowers, a anti roll bar, and a fabricated 9 from at a reasonable price and I plan to use him.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Here is an article on my friends car you might find interesting.

Curt Connors’ 9 second carbureted LS1 Monte Carlo
March 5th, 2013

Curt Connors and his family are well known around the Mid Michigan Motorplex. They are die- hard bracket racers that make the weekend a family event. Curt’s wife Melissa and his parents all spend the weekends at the track most of the summer.

Curt’s 84 Monte Carlo is back halved, with a Mild Steel Cage. The Dana 60 houses 4.56 gears spinning 14×32 Goodyears. The car is all steel except for the hood and decklid, with stock glass throughout, but Curt has managed to get the weight down around 2700lbs. Just right for the Transmission Specialties Powerglide and 8” race converter to do their jobs.

The engine combo is a straightforward setup. It is 403 CID, based on a 6.0L LS1 truck engine. The stroker kit consists of 4” stroke Callies Compstar crank and 6.125 rods, and Autotec flat top pistons. Final compression ratio is a hair over 13 to 1. The heads are CNC Ported RHS units from Competition Components, with 230CC Intake runners, 2.080/1.600 stainless valves, and optional solid roller springs. The cam is a custom solid roller, with 260ish duration, and .750 lift. Lunati roller lifters and Trend heavy wall 5/16 pushrods make sure all of the cam’s lift gets to the T&D 1.7 ratio rockers. The engine is topped off with a hand ported Edelbrock Super Victor intake and a Holley 950 gas carb. The stock LS coil packs are run by an MSD timing controller. Headers are modified Schoenfeld Circle track headers, that were coated at QC Coatings in Utica, MI.

Curt’s first time out with the new combo was at the final test and tune day in 2012. Baseline passes were in the 9.80’s @ almost 138MPH. There wasn’t any time for any real tuning, just a few shakedown runs. For those first few hits, Launch was 5200RPM, and shift points were 6700. For next season, Curt has a new converter from Lenny at Ultimate Converters in the works, as well as some other refinements in the works. We are as excited as Curt to really put this combo to the test during the 2013 season. Stay tuned for more results!

On Board Video: http://youtu.be/pgWMkRRLcKg

mcogar86

n00b
Dec 6, 2013
Great Article and thanks you for the reply. I did forget to mention this will be a turbo build. So producing the power shouldn't be to much of a issue. I 650 horsepower is a very achievable goal. The hardest part is going to be not to overbuild this engine. I'm thinking of doing a 6.0 lq9 with upgraded pistons/rods, LS3 heads,a custom grind cam, upgraded head studs and a 80ish mm turbo. I think I could produce 800-900 crank horse reliably which would get me in that 650 range to the wheels.

BuWaGone

Greasemonkey
Aug 11, 2013
Oahu, Hawaii
A 6.0 should easily make enough power to go 9's with a 80mm turbo. What will the compression be with those 5.3 heads? I think your biggest obstacle will be trying to hook with all that power you'll be making, I think you're gonna have to mini tub to fit a 325/50/15 DR under there.

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
between disney and bush garden,FL
the turbo route is in the right direction for making "streetable " HP. have you checked out the X-275 car class ? I know that these are very high HP cars , but the frame / tire to hook up is very close to what you might expect.i had a 79 monte street/ bracket for about a 10 year span , as the drive train went up in power( last set up 408 cu in -220 afr headed / 2 stage NOS ) I notched my frame rails /narrowed the rear end and ended up with mmmm, cant remember final tire size, but you get the point. and yes I still drove it on the street some times.

onebadasscutlass

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2011
detriot, michigan
You must put a cage in it if you go to the track, they will shut you down so quick your head will spin. That's if you get to you goal. I would go with the turbo set up you well have more street manner if you stay out of boost. Still a tall order for a street car tho

thrasher

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2013
onebadasscutlass said:
You must put a cage in it if you go to the track, they will shut you down so quick your head will spin. That's if you get to you goal. I would go with the turbo set up you well have more street manner if you stay out of boost. Still a tall order for a street car tho

Saw a guy from town run several 12:70 passes without a bar. I asked him if he was using the NOS and he said yes, I knew it was bull. I watched every run and they were pretty much the same.
When almost everyone had left and the sun was starting to go down they announced there would be one more run. I watched him run a 10:80, collect his slip, and drive right out the gate.

Later when I asked him about it he said when they handed him the slip they also said they would like to speak to him in the tower :lol:
That was in the early 90's and up till then I'd never been a believer in NOS. I still haven't used it.

onebadasscutlass

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2011
detriot, michigan
Yeah, that around the time mine broke in the 11's they told my father that he had to put a cage, 5 point safty belts, helmet And no more passengers were allowed to go down the track. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor