New to the forum..my 88 Monte Carlo SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike88SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2014
Kansas City, MO
Hi everyone, my name is Mike, i'm 25 years old and live in Kansas City, Mo.
Enough about me..here is the story of my 88 Monte Carlo SS. My grandparents bought the car new in 1987 at Smith Chevrolet in Stevenson, Ala. She rolled off the show room floor with just 6 miles. I have pictures from the day they bought it, but not currently on my pc. It was daily driven by my grandma mostly for about 3 years and always garage kept. I remember always asking to drive it as a kid and always having a love for that car, and it being a 1988 (my birth year) it was cool to me. After 3 or so years of daily driving, my grandparents bought a Cadillac as a daily, and reserved the Monte for nice days, going to church on sundays, etc. for the next 10-12 years. In the early 2000's my grandpa decided to stop farming and sell off the animals, equipment, etc. and get into restoring cars. He bought and restored several cars over the next few years while the Monte had been sitting in the garage under a cover mostly untouched. As the car collection grew, the Monte Carlo continued to sit. Fast forward a couple more years to my 21st birthday...my parents, grandparents, and I went out to dinner and after dinner my grandparents handed me the keys to the Monte and said it was all mine!
The car is a t-top car and has 115,900 miles. 99% original, only thing changed is Flowmaster 40's. It has no rust at all, as it was kept and driven in Tennessee all it's life. Currently, she doesn't run quite right (idles at about 2k), needs a water pump, and oil pan gasket. Despite those small issues, it starts, runs, and drives great. I have big plans for her later down the road, but for now just want to fix the small problems and enjoy it as is. My grandpa passed away in April 2013 and i am proud to own this car and will definitely never get rid of it.

Gbarrie

Master Mechanic
Sep 15, 2012
Welcome Mike, Beautiful SS ! There are a couple on here clean as yours. Keep her stock :!:
Gbarrie.

Mike88SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2014
Kansas City, MO

Forgot the engine pic.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on the high idle? It idles at 1500-2k and doesnt have much power when driving. There are no vacuum leaks, that's all i know.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
welcome to the forum, nice car and lucky for you your grandfather was a man who knew his cars...:)

for the high idle and loss of power sounds like the choke is malfuntioning

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Welcome from West Michigan, Mike.

Doug

Mike88SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2014
Kansas City, MO
Thanks guys. My plan for the car is LSX turbo with a 4L80E or 700 r transmission. I never plan to get rid of the car as it has way too much sentimental value so im gonna slowly build what i want and make it perfect down to the last screw.. That project is a couple years away, right now i just want to drive it and have fun. I've had it in my possesion for 4 years and have only put 217 miles on her :( .

Nov 4, 2012
Keep that gorgeous car original! It'll be worth it in the long run. Man, is that a beautiful SS!

Mike88SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2014
Kansas City, MO

Better pics^. In the last one, you can see missing paint on the rocker panel. There is no rust just paint chipped off. I'm not sure what happened to it :( .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor