Ignition Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetroRob

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2014
Hey, Trying to get my dad's Malibu which I inherited going, it's been sitting dead in the garage for a few months now.

I have read a bunch but am still stumped.

I have removed the lock cylinder tried turning the sprocket with a pair of pliers still nothing.

A buddy at work keeps swaying something about Rods, I assume for that I would have to take the top of the column off ??

I should add it is a non tilt column

Any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance

cc69.jpg

Rusty Nutz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 28, 2014
Jonesborough Tn
Need more info. Does the dash light up? There are many things that can keep the starter from engaging. The ignition switch is one of them but first things first.

MetroRob

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2014
No sorry No Acc power, No radio, No turn signals no heater fan nothing..

I spent 3 hours the other night looking for a kill switch found nothing, My Mom mentioned he had gone out to start it one morning and nothing, He put a new battery in it thinking that a cell had shorted so that's good.

I have pulled the ignition tumbler out thinking it was there but I don't think that is the problem.

Battery has lots of power, headlights work Just nothing that would work with the key on.

He and I didn't talk much so I am starting blind.

MetroRob

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2014
Ok think I found something, After I got back from rescuing an Olds that decides the Hydro pole was in the way, As I started to remove the top part of the column while moving the signal light switch (White Part) the key buzzer started to go off like as if the key was in the ignition. I attempted to hold the key in the Start position but couldn't get it to roll over. I will keep watching here see if anyone else has an Idea hopefully I'm on the right track.

Again any and all advice is appreciated

I know the older cars should be easier to work on, But in all honesty I hate anything to do with electrical lol.. I usually lick into a fix but I would rather be pulling and rebuilding a Cummins 6.7 haha

Rusty Nutz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 28, 2014
Jonesborough Tn
Its sounds more like a blown fuse link to me. Down at the starter there are small fuse link wires on the same lug as the main battery wire. Those fuse links power almost everything on the car. They feed the ignition switch which in turn powers the fuse box and crank wire for the starter etc. Turn the switch to run" see if you have power at the fuses in the fuse box with a test light (make sure and test the test light first). If they have no power, check the fuse links at the starter. A blown link will pull apart easy. You might have a link at the alternator as well im not sure. Also that key buzzer has nothing to do with starting the car. If the fuse links are good you may indeed have a bad ignition switch or a burnt plug at the switch. Check the fuse links first because there easier. I have worked at a electrical specialty shop for the past 13 yrs so I have some grasp of whats going on.

MetroRob

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2014
Rusty Nutz said:
Its sounds more like a blown fuse link to me. Down at the starter there are small fuse link wires on the same lug as the main battery wire. Those fuse links power almost everything on the car. They feed the ignition switch which in turn powers the fuse box and crank wire for the starter etc. Turn the switch to run" see if you have power at the fuses in the fuse box with a test light (make sure and test the test light first). If they have no power, check the fuse links at the starter. A blown link will pull apart easy. You might have a link at the alternator as well im not sure. Also that key buzzer has nothing to do with starting the car. If the fuse links are good you may indeed have a bad ignition switch or a burnt plug at the switch. Check the fuse links first because there easier. I have worked at a electrical specialty shop for the past 13 yrs so I have some grasp of whats going on.

I will dig into that tomorrow, Thanks for the insight am I right to think you are talking about a line with a fuse in it?? Or just a wire to the fuse panel ?? Again I am an electrical idiot haha.. With good direction I can usually figure things out lol

thrasher

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2013
MetroRob said:
am I right to think you are talking about a line with a fuse in it??

Yes.
This is an original inline fuse. Check for power at both ends of any wire hooked to the starter solenoid that has this kind of fuse in it.

StarterWireFuse.jpg

MetroRob

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2014
Haven't found the fused links Headers are in the way.. Hopefully with in the next few days I can get the ice out of the shop (long Story) lifting the car isn't a big deal, I have a tow truck lol..

MetroRob

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2014
Question,

The fused links are on the acc side of the starter ??

and where can I get them or what is a acceptable replacement I was thinking of adding a fuse to the fire wall

Thanks for all the help

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd be removing the cover under the steering column, dropping the column to access the ignition switch and check with a circuit tester to see if you have power going into the switch. If you do then you can check to see what powers up as you put the key is different positions. If you don't then you can start tacking the problem from there

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor