78 monte carlo 305 charging system issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

240zedhead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2014
Hello Gbf. I have a 78 monte and for some strange odd reason it doesn't want to charge. The gen and oil light comes on when you first turn the key then goes off when started like normal. I have replace the alt. Had it test at two different places and it was good. With the old one it had the same issue but when you pull the battery cables off the terminal the motors doesn't die. Same with the new one. I replaced the battery but it drained it down dead after 15 min of driving. I replaced the battery cables and clamps. Replaced the worn grounding cable that comes off the negative batt cable. Someone told me to run a cable from the positive batt cable to the alt. That didn't help neither. The gen light does not come on during this either. I'm going to check the belt for tightness and recheck the ground from the negative batt cable. This is my first chevy and is very odd to me after dealing with fords and datsuns almost all my life.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
instead of changing parts and guessing why not get a multimeter and a test light so you can diagnose the problem

240zedhead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2014
Bought a test light and multimeter today but had about 30mins to play with it before I had to go to work. But disconnected the connector that goes on the side of the alt for the volt regulator. With the car not runninf i stuck the test light into the black wire connector and got a solid red light. Put it in the red connector and get nothing. I jump the car off and started it. Test the red side again i get a solid red light but the black side and get a flickering light. I clean and check my grounds and pull the belt tight. I notice now that on the dash the gen light does not come when the key is first turn like it use to do before. When the car runs the gen light is very dim(have to park in the shade to see it) and it pulses with the motor. This is all i had done so far

240zedhead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2014
The black side connector for the alt flickers at the same rate as the gen light if that helps

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If your gen light is on dim it means one phase of the alternator is burnt. The black wire which is actually brown is excites the alternator so it will charge. When the engine is stopped you should not have any power on the red wire but you will when the engine is running.

ChargeCircuit.jpg

240zedhead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2014
Ok. Im at work now cant to get off in da morning to tinker. I notice on the diagram the brown wire goes the da warning light them from there its a pnk/blk wire that goes to da fuse panel. B4 i left for work i saw On the fuse panel there is a 25 fuse with a partially burned speaker wire that runs somewhere under the.dash. do u have a dia gram of the fuse box so i can figure what dat is about. Will be investing in haynes and chilton real soon

240zedhead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2014
Odd i remember correctly da fuse with the speaker wire is the wiper fuse not sure while the po did that bit i will cjeck to see where it goes. Is that a switch power source rite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor