floor shifter and column problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

two90west

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2011
chicago
so today i go to start my 84 monte ss up and it would not go to the start position i tried again same thing, so i noticed when i move the floor shifter from park to drive back to park the steering column neck would move but the car would start. is there a linkage cable from the floor shifter to the steering column that can be adjusted let me know....

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
two90west said:
so today i go to start my 84 monte ss up and it would not go to the start position i tried again same thing, so i noticed when i move the floor shifter from park to drive back to park the steering column neck would move but the car would start. is there a linkage cable from the floor shifter to the steering column that can be adjusted let me know....

MY ANSWER WILL BE NO HELP AT ALL.... but, my 82mc had a column shifter, and someone (not me) put in a floor shifter but left the old steering column, and i have noticed, after driving (hitting bumps n stuff) that where the column shift use to be, will gradually drop down from the parked position, and i can come home park my car, turn it off, take the key out, but next time i get in the car if i dont turn the column shift back up to the park position she wont start, i dont know if there is a sensor or some sh*t saying "hey your not in park"... but anyways, hope u find an answer, cause i would like to know as well... well, i'm off to try n get my motor pulled out...

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
The mechanical linkage is there from the transmission to the column just like if the floor shifter was never there. Ii is adjustable under the car by loosening one bolt and sliding the rod through the adjuster. The neutral safety is on the column. That is why you hear so many folks on here say if you change to a floor shift leave the other linkage there too.

two90west

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2011
chicago
86 Grand prix said:
The mechanical linkage is there from the transmission to the column just like if the floor shifter was never there. Ii is adjustable under the car by loosening one bolt and sliding the rod through the adjuster. The neutral safety is on the column. That is why you hear so many folks on here say if you change to a floor shift leave the other linkage there too.
Thanks grand Prix when I get time I'm gonna check the linkage

two90west

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2011
chicago
I'm seriously thinking about doing a disc brake conversion on the rear of the 84 SS, I saw a 92 camaro at the junk yard the rear brakes on rear end was in great condition. My question is can I use that for the conversion....

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
two90west said:

Before you adjust the linkage, you should probably replace the bushings.
IIRC, there are 2 bushings in that linkage at the bottom of the steering column.
The bushings are usually worn or missing, which causes exactly the problem you are having.
I bought my last set at a local GM dealer; they are cheap and easily replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor