Carb rebuild and engine bay cleanup

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDKLXPRS

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2013
Daytona Beach FL; Lexington NC
Ok guys looking for some input and suggestions.

Details: Stock carb, dist, computer, intake. Stock GM crate 350. Supposedly carb was rebuilt once before, not in the last 15 years. I am not worried about NC inspections right now because the car is based in FL 98% of the year. The emission/air pump is already removed. Cat is in place but nothing in it.

Fist off, I am probably going to send my carb out to be rebuilt. Its throwing TPS codes and the accelerator pump is bad. While it is off i want to clean up the engine bay a little. Is there a way to get more gas mileage on the low end of the throttle and more power up top?

I want to get rid of all emission lines and the charcoal canister. I don't want anything left except the necessary wires that run the electronics, the fuel and vacuum lines. Has anyone done a write-up to do this?

Thinking about painting the now rusty colored stock 305 exhaust manifolds and getting rid of the air pump tubes coming off of them. Has anyone done this. Is there bolts or plugs that can be installed in place of the 4 tubes coming off of the manifolds?

That's all for now if i think of more i'll let ya know.

Here is a pic of my engine bay currently. (Kind of a sad sight)

Thanks,

Tyler

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
While you have the carburetor off for rebuilding, replace the intake for a performer. unless your intake matches it already..

Make sure your timing is dead on, and the curves matches your requirements for the engine.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
You can get plumbing plugs from the hardware store and plug the maifolds IF you can get the crap out. Its been through ALOT of heat cycles.

If its in the budget I say just get some headers. Get a few extra hp and it will look a 100xs better if you are going for a cleaner look.

RDKLXPRS

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2013
autonaut said:
While you have the carburetor off for rebuilding, replace the intake for a performer. unless your intake matches it already..

Make sure your timing is dead on, and the curves matches your requirements for the engine.

I will definatly try to get an intake. Lots of them on Craigslist around here, i just dont really know what to get. Checked the timing last weekend and ended up putting 6 more degrees in. Althouh i just connected the vaccum line to the MAF sensor in thats been off for years. What do you mean by "curves"?

RDKLXPRS

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2013
williamattop said:
You can get plumbing plugs from the hardware store and plug the maifolds IF you can get the crap out. Its been through ALOT of heat cycles.

If its in the budget I say just get some headers. Get a few extra hp and it will look a 100xs better if you are going for a cleaner look.

Yeah thats what im worried about. Im affraid the plugs will be rusted in there and break off of the threads. Lots of soaking in PB blaster is going to happen.

Headers arent going to make the cut this time around. not for a long time.

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
If emissions is not a concern.How about getting rid of that computer controlled q jet carburetor an put a non computer q jet on there,that will eliminate some stuff "hoses an wires" not needed.Or get a Edelbrock,Holley,etc.You could also rip the computer wiring harness out ? When i first did my computer harness i just unhooked "marked everything"an tuck it down in between the fender an the ac/heater box,You couldn't really see it unless you bent over an look right at it lol,But later i just took it all the way out.You could use some mechanical gauges to get rid of stock harness wires,But not sure what trans you have,some need the computer to work right "I THINK" mine is a 700r4 older one that don't need it.

Could put headers or manifolds on it that don't have all them tubes coming out,Or take the tubes off an install pipe plugs in the holes.Think it was already said,change your intake to a performance one.Just by changing the intake an carb it will get rid of a lot a that bullshit.Not sure if you'd want to keep the ac stuff or not but could rip all that stuff out,ac pump,brackets,hoses,belt.You could still use the ac heater box though,Could take out the ac evaporator an modified the box to were it looks better or you could swap it to an heater only box a good bit of work,not hard though.Take everything out an plate the hole,which i don't care for,Also could get an S10 non powered steering box,to do away with the power steering pump an hoses,also get rid of the original "rag joint"steering shaft an add a jeep shaft "universal joint" that will clean it up a bit down in there

i may have left something out but i think i just about cover everything an of course degreasing , painting or polishing

Iv done all this stuff to mine ,mine had the original 229 v6 all stock when i got it 9 years ago,now 350

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
RDKLXPRS said:
autonaut said:

I will definatly try to get an intake. Lots of them on Craigslist around here, i just dont really know what to get. Checked the timing last weekend and ended up putting 6 more degrees in. Althouh i just connected the vaccum line to the MAF sensor in thats been off for years. What do you mean by "curves"?

id go with the dual plane intake,single plane intakes are more for top end power,drag racing that kind of thing,youtube is the place to go dual plane intake vs single plane intakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh1JF-9g2vk

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
RDKLXPRS said:
I want to get rid of all emission lines and the charcoal canister.

Have you considered just relocating this? Ive seen it done and it was not at all visable with the hood open.
They do their job pretty good IMO.

RDKLXPRS

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2013
Its been a while but i haven't done much except try to do some more research on things.

No idea who/when the carb is being rebuilt. Is anyone familiar with MPS carbs out of Tampa, FL?? They quoted me $185 for clean/rebuild and engine dyno test before it is sent back to me.
Just curious if anyone has ever heard or dealt with them.

Secondly, im looking at intake manifolds. As stated previously i have the Goodwrench 350 crate motor with the stock 305 intake and keeping the qjet. How do i know what will fit. Here are some i am looking at.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance- ... ProductId=
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-2 ... /chevrolet
And i really like this one: http://www.jegs.com/i/Weiand/925/8125/1 ... ProductId= But its says 1987 and up aluminum heads. I have no idea what my heads would be...any help would be appreciated. And if you have any other suggestions id be happy to hear them. I am trying to keep the price of the manifold to around $150 or less

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
RDKLXPRS said:
Its been a while but i haven't done much except try to do some more research on things.

No idea who/when the carb is being rebuilt. Is anyone familiar with out of Tampa, FL?? They quoted me $185 for clean/rebuild and engine dyno test before it is sent back to me.
Just curious if anyone has ever heard or dealt with them.

Secondly, im looking at intake manifolds. As stated previously i have the Goodwrench 350 crate motor with the stock 305 intake and keeping the qjet. How do i know what will fit. Here are some i am looking at.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance- ... ProductId=
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-2 ... /chevrolet
And i really like this one: http://www.jegs.com/i/Weiand/925/8125/1 ... ProductId= But its says 1987 and up aluminum heads. I have no idea what my heads would be...any help would be appreciated. And if you have any other suggestions id be happy to hear them. I am trying to keep the price of the manifold to around $150 or less

For the intake the first one from Jegs will work but has a spot to mount an egr valve which you don't need, it's for emission but will work, you could just make a block off plate.The 2nd one from Summit will also work

The 3rd intake is for an newer vortec engines an will not work for yours,the bolt holes will not be the same angle ,now i had a friend of mine drill the holes to fit his motor but id just not even worry about this one.newer vortec engines have center bolt valve covers that's how tell them apart from older ones ,like you got now you could swap you heads with vortec heads which flow better than stock then get this intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor