Bumper - Tail Light Alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
Hey Now G-Body gurus,

I spent a good hour yesterday monkeying with the bumper on the rear of my 85 SS. What I am trying to correct is a 1/4 inch gap between the bottom of the tail light and the bumper on the drivers side. The passenger side is fine, the plastic comes right up to but does not touch the bottom of the tail light.

Like I said I played around with the 4 bolts and the bumper mount, but could not make any progress. Anyone run into this before or have a tip or trick to correct this? I do not have any pictures handy, but could attach some if someone thinks that is helpful.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Could you post a picture? You might be able to shim the cover itself from the inside to close the gap a little.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I have the same problem on mine. Mine was hit in the rear and after doing all the body work on both the car and the bumper I realized they were way off alignment wise :x

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
Notice the gap between the bumper and the tail light on the drivers side and the lack of a gap on the passenger side.

Thanks for the responses and any help anyone can provide is certainly appreciated.

Attachments

• Monte Bumper.jpg
    Monte Bumper.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 502

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
A few more bumps and you may knock the bumper right off that thing. :wink:

I've never wrenched on an SS so that's all I can contribute. :p

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
The bumper is solid and securely attached. I confirmed that over the weekend ensuring that the (8), 13mm bolts (4 bolts per side) were nice and snugly tightened.

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
Oh, I'm sure your car's solid. I was just messing with your repeated thread :bump: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor