Fixed rear windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

jphillips

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2014
Church Hill, MD
Okay so i bought a Malibu 4 door as a donor car footer my elcamino(sorry guys). Anyway its time for it to go. I just noticed as i was loading it on the trailer that the rear windows don't go down. They are mounted to the doors and have no window regulators. Is this common?i have only ever messed with 2 door g bodies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
rustyroger said:
G Body wagons had fixed rear windows, I didn't think sedans did though.

Roger.

all the 4 doors had fixed rear windows and window vents. Sounds like a CDN Iraqi Taxi you have there. The clutch pedal setup is worth a little $$

buckent

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 29, 2014
jphillips said:
This is a weird car anyway. Manual Trans, manual steering, and posi rear.

you may have an Iraqui taxi... it was a custom build for the US State Dept, for export to Iraq..

as for my 1980... I have a 4 door base Malibu sedan, PS PB bench seat, base AM/FM mono radio, and nothing else..

it came with the 234 I6 engine, 3 speed automatic, no hood ornament, or badging..

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If you look at the door, there is not enough space inside for the glass to go down. When GM downsized the intermediate cars in 1978, the rear doors were once place the shrunk to reduce the overall length and weight of the car. I think they advertised it as a child safety feature, though. We had a 1976 Malibu wagon, and even then, due to the curve in the door bottom for the wheelwell, the glass did not go all the way down.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
buckent said:
jphillips said:
This is a weird car anyway. Manual Trans, manual steering, and posi rear.

you may have an Iraqui taxi... it was a custom build for the US State Dept, for export to Iraq..

as for my 1980... I have a 4 door base Malibu sedan, PS PB bench seat, base AM/FM mono radio, and nothing else..

it came with the 234 I6 engine, 3 speed automatic, no hood ornament, or badging..
GM of Canada built approximately 25,000 Iraqi Malibus in 1981, at the Oshawa Ontario plant. About half of the cars were delivered to Iraq, then the Iraqi government refused to accept the rest of the cars. Various reasons were cited for this. Anyway, GM of Canada was stuck with a bunch of V6/3 speed 4 door plain Jane Malibus with AM/FM cassette, A/C, and a few other options, but no emission controls, as they were being shipped to a desert country. The cars were retrofitted with emission controls to meet Canadian emission standards of the time, and sold off at bargain basement prices at huge tent sales in several Canadian cities. I believe at the time, you could buy one of these cars brand-new for $6,800.00CDN. I've owned 3 of these cars in the past 23 years. The performance isn't great, but they're kind of neat in an offbeat way. It was also one of the few instances when you saw one of these cars with a manual transmission.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
So, can they be made to go at least half way down? I've been meaning to pull the panel, but haven't had any spare 'Round-to-its lately. Just wondering if someone has already figured it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor