Rim/tire size recommendations '78 MC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Guys, new here. Buying a 78, needs tires so I'm thinking classic rally's w bfg ta's... Thinking 15x8 rear, 15x7 front. Question, how wide a tire back and front to really have the filled out wheel well look and not have rubbing/turning issues? Backspace advice also, thanks

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
You shouldn't have to change anything until you get over 17 inches in which case there can be rubbing up front w/o a spacer. 15's are getting discontinued at tire shops left and right whereas 16's are stocked pretty universally. You can order 15's any time and wait of course, I'm just saying in case of a blowout or something lots of stores will not carry the emergency 15's you want in stock these days. By 8 is about as wide as you want to go w/ any rim. When you go over 8.5 width thats when there can be rubbing w/o using a spacer

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Ok, thanks.... I understand the 15's somewhat going away, but I like that retro 70/80's look a lot.. I've got 18's and 17's on my chevelle.... My turning radius sucks... Also like the white letters on the 15's.... Hope that retro look kinda returns, this won't be a road track ride anyway... Thx

Carlola

Master Mechanic
Feb 5, 2011
The lack of white letter tires in anything bigger than R15's is very disappointing. Love the look, but with modern big brake conversions, we need those 17" rims to fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor