quick ? about a 8.5 ten bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

87luxsprt

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2012
POMONA
so ive been looking for a GN rear end. and my uncle who seems to have a mini junk yard in his 171 acres in rosarito beach . Mex
just sent me a few pictures of a 76 i think? camaro with what he says is a ten bolt 8.5 with the leaf springs of course. now besides the fact that i would need to weld on the coil spring buckets. is this a bolt on???. then said its not a posi. but had 28 splines... any input guys. as the GN 8.5 out here in California go from 850-1000 bucks and this one would be free well maybe a case of beer and another case for my friend who owns a welder

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
The Camaro rear is too wide for your car, so it will not be a bolt in. That said you might be able to find the right wheel and tire combo, with enough back spacing to get the tires under the fender. INMHO it is not worth the trouble to put in a rear end with an open diff, and more than likely drum brakes, just to have to go back and upgrade later. You can get 28 spline axles for a G body rear, and as long as you dont run slicks the 7.5 will hold up prety well, not as well as an 8.5, 9 inch etc. but for the money....

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the camaro rear end is 62.5", same length as an A body rear 68-72, so it will fit with the right back spacing. . You could weld the brackets and spring perch on but you are still stuck with no ears on the rear end for the upper control arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor