Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 21, 2014
Bellflower, California
bacf750b8d48d5ad85f775b0d6a336bf.jpg

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
If you have the split bench, you can just use those tracks.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
francisco.rocha.1023 said:
I bought some bucket seats of a 86 cutlass that I'm trying to put on my 78 monte. Any advice of I I can adapt them or is it easier to just get the mounting brackets

If you have the 60/40 bench seat in your car now, your car is set up for bucket seats. If you have the standard granny bench seat, you will need to add the inside seat mounts. Best way to do this is to cut them out of a donor car and weld them in. As Evan noted, the power seat track for a 60/40 can be used on your buckets.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
The inner mounts are spot welded in....I've drilled out the spot welds on a few sets...not that bad. I guess you could cut the mount and the floor but you still have to get the mount off the floor section...reproduction ones are available from parts vendors.

Attachments

• f2e9eeef9c56578437bb3506358a8a19.jpg
    f2e9eeef9c56578437bb3506358a8a19.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2,219

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If you have the full granny bench in the car (not a split bench), then you'll need the inner mounts on the floor to install either a split bench, or bucket seats. As others have already pointed out, you can either find a suitable parts donor car, and carefully remove the inner mounts, then position them and weld them to the floor in your car, or, the inner mounts can be purchased from several of the G body parts vendors, for a reasonable price. Then you go through the same procedure-position them on the floor in the proper place, and weld them in.
If the Cutlass bucket seats that you bought have no seat tracks on them, then you're going to need seat tracks as well. I've found through my own experience that there is a difference in the distance between the seat mounting bolt holes in the track, between bucket seat tracks, and split bench seat tracks of approximately 1". The seat mounting holes on a split bench track are approximately 1" wider apart than the seat mounting holes on a bucket seat track. You can fabricate adapter brackets to correct this, if you're so inclined. If not, then you need to find the correct bucket seat tracks to mount the Cutlass seats into your Monte. Your best bet would be to measure the distance between the seat mounting holes (side to side) on your Cutlass seats. It should be approximately 13 1/2". If you're looking at a bucket seat track, then that measurement should be the same. If you're looking at a split bench seat track, then that measurement will be approximately 14 1/2". Both seat tracks will fit the mounts on the floor exactlt the same-the only difference is in how the seat mounts to the track. As I said, I found this out through personal experience. I bought a power seat track from a Buick Regal for my Monte, figuring that there was no difference in the seat mounting points between split bench and bucket seats, and I found out otherwise. I had to fab up adapter brackets to get the bucket seat to fit on the split bench track.
Just a heads up for you. Good luck with your conversion.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
francisco.rocha.1023 said:
Is it easy to cut them out or do I need power tools

Get a cordless sawzall and hack them out of a salvage car. When you get them home, drill out the spot welds so you can remove the floor pan sheet steel. If you're not an experienced welder, take them to someone with a good mig welder to have them welded in. You will need a welder that can adjusted properly to prevent burning through your floor pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor