Rack and Pinion in a G body

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
Anybody put r+p steering in a g body? I am doing an LS1 swap in my 80 camino, my donor car is a 2002 SS camaro, I got the whole car so I started thinking about other parts I could put on my car. There can be some interference between the steering shaft and the drivers side header, so why not re-route the shaft to a different steering gear? Anybody done it? Will it work? Do you think it is a worthwile swap?

Jimmy

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It's been done but besides the weight save you end up with other problems. If you want you can get a box that has been lightened and weights 8 lbs less than a stock box. We use it on our sportsman car

Mystery_man

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2012
Is there any links to those that have done it? What type of issues are they having?

I would really like to put a rack in my car also.

1 weight savings
2 newer tech
3 more gear ratios that can be used for tuning

I just to see what the issue would be with putting a rack on an older car.

Mystery_man

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2012
Ok so the only issue I have seen was the ratio of the pinto rack. I can do google searchs just fine. I didn't use the same verbage as you did. I am just wanting to know what the issues that you have seen or been told of. I saw some people liked the s-10 manual box over the TRZ/pinto rack.

That kit is the TRZ kit just 249 more dollars than what you would pay buying it from TRZ.

Mystery_man

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2012
Ok got some more info. The pinto is 3.75 lock to lock and the mustang 2 is 3.25 lock to lock. The foxbody has a power rack that is 2.25 lock to lock which would be worth a swap and you can have a power rack. Just have to fab up a mount for the fox pump and belt size will have to be found that works.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Mystery_man said:
So no one wants to discuss this or give any info on putting a rack and pinion in these g bodies.
Why would you want to is the question I guess....I went with the S-10 manual box, freed up some HP and lost some weight...Easy swap and on the cheap to 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor