????smog pump removal????

Status
Not open for further replies.

88supreme

n00b
Sep 22, 2009
need some help wanting to remove my smog pump and i am trying to find out what is exactly involved and what i will need to do this

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
What car and engine?

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Got a pic of the engine bay by any chance? I've removed 3 of those smog systems from both my malibu, a 80's silverado, and an 85 dodge 150. The easy part is tracing out the rubber hoses and capping off any open ends. With the manifold, remove the EGR valve and put in a bronze cap to block off the EGR hole. You can get almost any fittings you'll need for your manifold at home depot or lowes. The hard part is concerning the exhaust manifolds. Let it be dodge or chevy, there is always some kind of tubes that run from the smog pump to the back or the sides of the exhaust manifolds. And most of the time, the fittings or bolts holding the tubes are rusted to hell and are hard to break.

Its probably gonna take a day or weekend when you can carefully trace out all the hoses and wires. It's a pain in the *ss no matter what it is. Most of my info here is based on the stock 80' 305 that was in my malibu so hopefully a 307 is similar. If not, then my bad.

all4gss

Apprentice
Aug 8, 2009
Bella Vista, AR
pat,

do you know what size plugs are needed to stick in the exhaust manifolds? My 350 has the stock smog equipment and the little air pipes going into the exhaust manifold near each cylinder. I'd like to get all the pieces in order before I start pulling appart the smog equipment. I imagine that would be a loud exhaust leak if I had to drive across town b/c I had the wrong plug.

Did you find the plugs at Lowes/Home Depot?

Thanks,

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
If I remember right, all the parts were metric while some were standard. I got the fittings from home depot. I don't know the exact size but what you can do is take one of the fittings with you and match up the threading and size. More than likely the thing is going to be metric. Sorry I can't give an exact measurement cause the last time I took out those small tubes was almost 5 years ago.

1985Diablo

Apprentice
May 4, 2009
Brick, NJ
It all depends. Heres what I did on my 85. Ordered a duel exhaust kit from Summit, $250 I think, included headers/mufflers/and pipes that exit just in front of the rear wheels. Pulled the entire exhaust from the heads back, removed the AIR pump and all related hoses/valves/tubes/ect. Installed the new parts and done. NOTE, depending on the cross member you have this might not fit on the driver side.

if you keep the stock system keep in mind, in addition to the tubes going to the exhaust, you also have one going to the Cat that must be blocked off .

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
You can use the stock system, but there is so much crap thrown on these motors to the point where it's easier getting rid of all the junk, including the cats, and just finding a cheap set of headers. The way you can do this cheaper is by using the stock exhaust. You can cut off the extra pipe that ran to the manifolds so the pipes will match up with the headers. If you have a MIG welder or know someone who does, they can do this job for you or you can buy exhaust clamps. With the catalytic converters, you can cut those off and just run a piece of connecting exhaust pipe. Most auto parts stores sell these as either solid pipes or flexible pipes that you can cut to size.

Typically you can find a cheap set of headers for roughly 50-80 bucks. This is an alternative in case you decide that the smog system is just too much of hassle. With my old smog system. I ended up chucking the whole 305 because it was filled with so much sludge it was never going to run right.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
The 307 has the tubes running into the heads, not the manifolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor