350 has spark and fuel but wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

1984gbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009
my 350 is getting spark and fuel but it wont start has anyone else had this problem and what could it be?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
take off the air cleaner assembly and cover the top of the carb with a rag so it blocks any air from entering and have someone crank it over and it should start

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
is it popping through the intake, if so, the dist could be 180 out. if not, try advancing the timing a bit at a time until it cranks really hard, if it still dont start, you may not have adequate power coming out of your ignition module if its an HEI. i had that problem about 6 months ago. it would show it had good spark, but it just wouldnt kick ya know. i ended up replacing the module and everything inside the distributor connection wise. good luck. :D

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Ditto on the plugs. Pull one and eyeball it. Dry? Not getting gas. Fouled? Fuel flooded or oil getting to them. Fresh plugs are the best place to start.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I still say if he hasn't done anything to the car and it just wont start cover the carb with a rag to choke it to death and see if it starts...

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
Sounds like a timing issue. Pull the distributor, get number 1 to top dead center and go from there.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Wait. No one asked the right question. What did you DO to the car? If you came out one morning like usual and it was dead, that's different. But what if anything were you doing to the car?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Bonnewagon said:
Wait. No one asked the right question. What did you DO to the car? If you came out one morning like usual and it was dead, that's different. But what if anything were you doing to the car?

awesome...someone else finally picked up on that....I assumed he didn't do anything since he never said he did....so that's the reason of my simple suggestion..... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor