GBodyForum Supporting Vendor

DOOR HINGE REBUILD?

Keep it clean! :)
vene09
n00b

DOOR HINGE REBUILD?

Postby vene09 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:11 am

has anyone ever fix a door hinge on a cutlass, buick or monte carlo? i need to rebouild my driver side door, its kinda out off place!!! i was wondering if its an easy do it your self, or if you need special tools? or should i just pay do get it fix? my car is a 1986 Cutlass Supreme!!!
Cutlass Supreme
Monte Carlo SS
Buick Regal

billyjack
G Body Guru

Re: DOOR HINGE REBUILD?

Postby billyjack on Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:52 am

Not really a difficult job, just take your time. Patience is the most important tool. I prefer to support the door, and remove one hinge at a time. With the upper hinge on the bench, grind down the staking on the hinge pin, remove the pin, and replace the bushings. Install the hinge and repeat process for the lower hinge if necessary. The only special tool that would help speed up the job is an "s"-shaped or "c"-shaped wrench for the hinge bolts, but it's not absolutely necessary. You'll also need a Torx bit to adjust the striker. I seem to remember a tutorial post in the past. It may be worth your time to do a search for it.

Bill
'87 Conquista

Longroof79
Royal Smart Person

Postby Longroof79 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:28 pm

Another useful tool in doing this procedure would be a spring compressor to remove and work on the hinges equipped with springs. http://www.hotrodautosupply.com/eshop/i ... oductId=12

Any good body shop supply would also carry this tool. I bought mine from Eastwood.

Jack
Jack
'79 Malibu wagon, mild 355 sbc, TH350 trans, 8.5 GN rear
Future upgrades: built 200-4R trans and 3.42 gears

79loserbluebu
Royal Smart Person

Postby 79loserbluebu on Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:11 pm

The door spring tool is a life saver
79' Malibu
LQ4/4L60E/8.5
11 second full weight street car

cdg1984
Royal Smart Person

Postby cdg1984 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:45 pm

Its a lot easier to have someone help you then to do it by yourself and support the door. Just dont make the mistake I did and hammer the pin if it doesnt want to come out. I bent my hinge to hell and had a tough time getting it bent back in place. Also, for me it was easier to unbolt the hinge from the body and take the whole door off.

85GPLef41
Royal Smart Person

Postby 85GPLef41 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:03 pm

I bought mine from a 4 door cutlass seeing as mine were to shot to repair with the bushings and pins. I supported the door with a floor jack and secured it so it wouldn't fall. I bought the tool and it helped out quite a bit it cost me around $15.00. I brought them to work and used a air hammer and a cutoff tool so it went alot smoother. But it could be done with a hammer and a chisel.
1985 Grand Prix L.E."Pro-touring" car:
5.7 LS1 99 Formula TA ,T56 six speed, 8.5 Buick 3:42 GN posi rear, 78 LeMans Aluminum core support,front 13in early C6 brakes & rear C5 calipers with 12in LS rotors, 18x8 front 18x9.5 rear Boss 338 wheels, Nitto nt555 tires, Hotchkis coils and rear control arms etc etc...ALL IN PROGRESS. Coming soon 408 stroker!!
build thread:
https://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=36477
my pics:
http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/netochingon1/

1987 Olds cutlass supreme Brougham,Euro front end, mostly all stock except for 20in wheels and too tall tires, weak suspension, shitty gearbox, leather seats need redone, 307/th350 combo but real clean body! looking to upgrade drivetrain etc etc!! but when I do fire it up and cruise it turns heads!!

Caballero
Greasemonkey

Postby Caballero on Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:04 am

gbodies do tend to have problems with the doors hanging don't they. I know mine could probably be tightened up some.

mickiez40oz@yahoo.com
Master Mechanic

Postby mickiez40oz@yahoo.com on Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:22 am

There are some damn good replacement pins out there now, ones with hardened tool steel shafts & with a grease zerk at one end. Hot Rod magazine did an install of some a few years ago, if I remember correctly they did them on a 3rd gen Camaro(which more than likely have the same pins). I just spent a few minutes Google'n for them, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for...But I know there out there.

For an EXAMPLE, here is the closest thing I could find right now without spending all night:
http://www.mustangsteve.com/hinge.html

vene09
n00b

Postby vene09 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:54 am

85GPLef41 wrote:I bought mine from a 4 door cutlass seeing as mine were to shot to repair with the bushings and pins. I supported the door with a floor jack and secured it so it wouldn't fall. I bought the tool and it helped out quite a bit it cost me around $15.00. I brought them to work and used a air hammer and a cutoff tool so it went alot smoother. But it could be done with a hammer and a chisel.

whats the tool Call'd?
Cutlass Supreme
Monte Carlo SS
Buick Regal

Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
username
G Body Guru

Postby username on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:40 am

I just rebuilt all 4 of mine for around 25 dollars last month.I got the replacement pins from the HELP section of Autozone.They were not the hardest of materials but very comparable to what I removed,and if they lasted for 20+ years running dry I figure these pins will suffice.The only one I had to fudge a little was the roller as I couldnt locate a replacement,but the roller for a 88-9? c/k pickup is the same dimensons save being about 2" longer in oal.I just drilled the hinge for the longer pin length and cut off the excess.I had my doors removed at the time for paint prep so this made hinge refurb easy although it can be done with the doors on the car.This is a very straight forward process of remove and replace,you will need a die-grinder or something similar to remove the staked end of the pin this allows the old pin to come out with a minimum of force.Your replacement pins should have 2 sets of bushings original and oversized,wear will dictate which one to use.Another possiblity is get a set from the junkyard and rebuild them on bench then R/R hinge as an assy.

Next

Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!

Return to General Discussion