• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
The good: They are freakin awesome.

The bad: they are freakin expensive, and I already have all the gauges, except the speedometer but they dont match.

The question: Will they work? Will it be accurate? Are they worth it?

The picture:
largeimage.asp

The link: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

83Cutlass2181

Greasemonkey
Jun 3, 2008
they look pretty cool, and its different. the thing i would be worried about is are they specific for a g-body dash, if not what mounting modifications will you have to make? im sure they will work, just a matter of hooking them up right and mounting them right somehow. if thats all your looking for, the price isnt TOO bad. its is considerably less than an entire autometer set-up, but i personally like the autometer look better.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
yeah, ive got mismatched sunpro guages, and i think it would be a cleaner look this way, i was already planning on making a custom gauge panel for the car, so... idk though, i just sold my atv, and this would be automatically half the profits... maybe i just get a sunpro speedometer?

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Go with the digital man!!

I have the Dakota Digital bolt-in kit in my '83 Malibu and I love it more than I ever would have guessed.

We (Dakota Digital) has a bolt-in kit for the Chevy G bodies with the six-round gauges (Monte style), and the '78-'87 Cutlass G body. They retail for $695 and require little to no modification to the dash. There are a few small things behind the cluster that need to be removed (plastic things) but they systems work with the stock housing/bezel.

You'll like them, I promise.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
wow that digital kit is amazing, definately moving that up on my list of things to do, it looks great but yet still keeps all of the stock functionality. that is awesome!

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
I went with the Dakota setup and love em. As mentioned I had to remove a couple of plastic parts from behind and the panel just dropped in. I was gonna go with the Autometer Nexus setup, but man are those pricey.... The Nor setup at Summit is sweet as well...Do it!

Here's what comes in the Dakota kit...

Brain...

Sensors...

Had to trim here a little and remove all the bulbs from inside the cluster...

Shaved these pieces off so the DD panel would lay flush

LOL!

I can get you a vid of the gauges in action. Do ii bruh. Either setup (Nor or Dakota) looks nice..

Warren

87LS/88SS

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2008
Bumpin1ohmSS said:
LOL!

I can get you a vid of the gauges in action. Do ii bruh. Either setup (Nor or Dakota) looks nice..
Warren

LOL, you are a fool :D

digital gauges are nice, but there is something about watching the needle swinging around like the hands on a clock. That is just me though.

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
87LS/88SS said:
digital gauges are nice, but there is something about watching the needle swinging around like the hands on a clock. That is just me though.

Thats what my girl said when she saw me snappin the pic. LOL! Yeah I love the needle swingin across also. Thats why I have a mix of old school and new. Gonna run the Autometer nexus line in my custom dash plaque, and I have some needle style gauges in my "bread box" panel.... Should compliment the Digital setut nicely...

4185885397_63fd45a865.jpg

4202053127_944a788b31.jpg

[youtube]<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h290KJas-kE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h290KJas-kE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Wwarren 8)

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Wow, nicely done!

Where'd you get that aluminum (?) bezel faceplate deal? I filled the turn signals on mine, still needs paint, but I'll put up some pics of it when its done.

And I love the install pics! If ya ever need anything, lemme know; ask for Greg in Sales and lemme know you're from the G Body forum.

Attachments

• IMG_4687.JPG
    IMG_4687.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_4686.JPG
    IMG_4686.JPG
    356.4 KB · Views: 374
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor