Cutlass transmission cross member

Status
Not open for further replies.

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
does the cutlass use a smaller crossmembers for the transmission than the other g-bodies??

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
i am asking this completely from memory, but got to get a good look under my 86 yesterday for the first time, and if i remember right, the cross member for the transmission is only about a foot wide and bolts to the chassis... is that right?

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
2fit661ca said:
i am asking this completely from memory, but got to get a good look under my 86 yesterday for the first time, and if i remember right, the cross member for the transmission is only about a foot wide and bolts to the chassis... is that right?

Memory is the second thing to go, and you probably can't remember the first... :eek:

No, that is not right. The crossmember runs from frame rail to frame rail. Ignore the vendors who claim their crossmembers won't fit Cutlass Supremes, as they are idiots who won't respond to attempted corrections.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
yeah O.E.M. there are just 2 G-body crossmembers .... for the th200/th350 and the 200-4r. IDK where the whole Cutlass Supreme thing came from but I've seen it on crossmember and header subnotes. To the best of my knowledge the only "offset" engines were the Turbo Buicks and they just used a different transmission mount to offset (aprox 1" forward and 1" to the driver's side) - they still used the same crossmemeber as say a 442.

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
coem to find out, i do not have a cross member on my car... anybody know where to get one for cheap? 2004r transmission 307 engine, 86 cutlass

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
2fit661ca said:
coem to find out, i do not have a cross member on my car... anybody know where to get one for cheap? 2004r transmission 307 engine, 86 cutlass

used O.E.M. or an aftermarket?

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
DrRansom442 said:
2fit661ca said:

used O.E.M. or an aftermarket?

i don't care in the slightest. i just need it fast and i need it cheap. i don't have room to be pickey as long as it will fit my cutlass application and won't break in a years time. :wax:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
That "foot wide" piece you speak of is just behind the trans x-member.
It's a fail-safe for the driveshaft so it doesn't hit the road if it lets go up front.
It bolts to the floor pan. Pretty much every "bolt-in" driveshaft loop for a G-body bolts in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor