How to make a hood scoop from scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
you hollywood types have no business here!! just fu*kin with ya lol nice scoop, i've also thought about making my own rather than spending $175 just for a scoop i'm just afraid the fiberglass will end up cracking after say a year or two although after seeing yours i'm leaning more towards making one

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Some slightly different ideas for us cheap bastards that like it cheap & easy. You can look at mine in my pics. I was not done with the engine bay etc at the time of those pics but you get the idea. I used the cheap easy $149 scoop or whatever you call it. You drill holes that the scoop covers and simply bolt it to your hood. It fit so snug and looked nice enough that I never considered glue or bondo. I also cut a hole in my hood and the back of the scoop and used cheap foam from Lowes but used a regular filter instead of a 9". I did this by cutting out a metal donut and pop riveting it to the bottom of a cheap open breather that I bought then glued the foam to it. Just a little different way of doing it.

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
Dogshit:

I like the scoop and the air cleaner. Your air cleaner set-up looks the same as mine except for scale, I almost went with the same set-up until I found the 9". It looks real cool. I am glad to see someone else on here has a neat scoop. Great to see creativity and functionality.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Thanks. Cool you tube video. On the functionality I never cared about it being ram air as much as rain safe and good as it gets fresh air instead of power robing hot underhood heat.

EDIT I modified my pics

art

Greasemonkey
Apr 24, 2009
Absecon, New Jersey
I have a question for both of you. When you cut the underhood bracing, was there any negative effect? I'm not sure I'm going to do a scoop (though the idea has crossed my mind), but I need clearance for a tall air cleaner element. I was going to cut the crossbrace and the one that goes towards the back in the center and leave the rest. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Art

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
No. I guess if you put something heavy on the center spot above your cut out. Before I cut the hole I could slam the hood shut and not notice any difference before and after the bracing was cut out.

art

Greasemonkey
Apr 24, 2009
Absecon, New Jersey
Cool. I was hoping that was the answer. I'm in the process of trying some research on air filters and I have some minor clearance issues. The bracing was the last obstacle. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor