Electrical WTF!! HELP PLEASE!! olds 307

Status
Not open for further replies.

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
I finally connected my Cutlass to the battery, after dropping in the new 307. I have most of the wires hooked up. As soon as i connected the battery to the wireing harness, a [oil/choke] light came on. The key was off. When I turned the key on, nothing changed. The [oil/choke] light remained on, but i had no power to anything else. After some investigating, I found that one of the previous owners put a pushbutton ignition in the car :soapbox: I have no idea if the ignition switch is even connect to anything anymore. I will check when i get back to school in the morning.
The picture below is a schematic i made of how i have the car wired.
1. all thin black lines represent lines that are definatly 100% hooked up right (ex: coolant sensor)
2. All of the lines with grey circles at the end represent wires that have yet to be connected because i don't know where they go.
3. All colored lines represent lines that i have hooked up, but i don't know if it's right.
4. the things i don't have hooked up include the starter solinoid, thermal heater switch, A/C temp sensor, under hood lamp, and cruise control diaphram
If anyone has had this problem, please shout. if anyone needs more info to help, just ask, and i will retrieve it.
THANKS GUYS!!!
307wireing.jpg

gto78

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2010
Port St Lucie, Florida
Sounds wierd, like the ignition is already "On" when you connect the battery. Have you checked to see if power is going to the ignition coil even though the key switch is turned off?

Maybe a wire on the alternator that supposed to get power only with ignition "On" is connected directly to the battery side of the alternator.

I did that one time by mistake while the car was running- I jumpered some wires to check for voltage drop etc. and incorrectly jumpered power to the "Ignition" side of the alternator, then the car wouldn't shut off.

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
ok i believe there should be a wire from the batt goin to the distributor ...

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
I have an '86 Olds "G" Cutlass factory service manual. I can scan and email any of the wiring diagram pages that you need. Send me a PM or an email to: [email protected].

Bill

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
okay, so was wrong about the ignition switch. everything under the driver's side of the dash is connected properly. that pushbutton ignition switch ran behind the back seat and stopped. it wasn't connected to anything

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
Here's the pictures of the wires I'm having trouble with
100_0029.jpg

two red and one purple wire coming from the back side of the fuse box, and i have them ran behind the distribtor
100_0030.jpg

one brown and one white single wire slide connector coming out of the fuse box and ran behind the distrbutor. i think one is for the hood light
100_0031.jpg

brownish-red wire from passenger side of car, behind airbox, ran towards the carb
100_0033.jpg

red two prong wire w/ quick connect, ran towards the temp sensor

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Take your distributor cap off and spin in 180* and put it back on so that the plug-ins are on the driver side.

Those connectors you're holding in the second pic plug into the distributor cap.
The white plug with the pink wire is for the battery, the brown plug is for the tach.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
pimplogic said:
ok i believe there should be a wire from the batt goin to the distributor ...
The "batt" connection is like Blake said... it's supposed to be turned on/off with the ignition switch. If it doesn't turn off, something is wired wrong or shorted. The purple wire in this pic is likely for the starter solenoid:
100_0029.jpg

If you attach a voltmeter to it and have 0v in start/crank, then something is either wired wrong or not connected (could be no power to column switch, could be disconnected harness on column switch, could be NSS disconnected, could be someone rewired it at some point). The two red wires next to the purple wire are likely for power to the fuse block, were they originally run down to the same lug on the starter as the positive battery cable? There should be a 3rd and 4th I believe, but I'm a little fuzzy there (had to do a repair to mine on the side of the road one day a few years back). Double check and see if you have any larger gauge wires running to the bulkhead on the driver's side of the engine compartment (where the wires go through the firewall), that may be part of your issue (why there's no power) if those are indeed the 12v feed wires to the fuse box. There's also a chance (unlikely if you haven't messed with the ignition switch on the column at all besides connecting the harness) the ignition switch is out of adjustment.

This looks like it could be for a ground of some sort, but I'm not sure what for, there aren't many places that would require a ring terminal that size (only things that come to mind are the battery lug on the starter solenoid, or a bolt on the block - when it would be used as a ground).
100_0031.jpg

The red plug I'm not sure about, could be HVAC-related, or if you have the original carb, double check and see if it goes to something there. Did the car originally have an air pump? I believe there's some sort of solenoid or valve that has wiring going to it, but all the G-Bodies I've messed with have had that stuff removed for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor