how long does a stock chevy water pump last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

78olds_ponce

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2010
tri-cities,wa
i have a 400sbc and it seems to be over heating has a new t-stat.the water pump is about 5-6years old.but i took it off the 350 that was in my car when i got it.

just wanting to knw if its time to replace it.let me knw what u think.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Well typically when a water pump goes bad it will be the bearing inside or it'll leak from the weep hole. I would say since it is 6 years old it wouldn't hurt to replace it, and they aren't that expensive.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Does it overheat while moving or just sitting still? Is there any visible corrosion when you look into the radiator neck?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
what kind of coolant do you use, and how often has it been flushed?

78olds_ponce

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2010
tri-cities,wa
at ts moment it has only water. the temp has been spiking up from 195 then just jump up,im readint the temp on a autozone gauge trio set. there is a little corosion on the radiator neck.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
at ts moment it has only water.
how about normally? straight water is bad for the pump as it doesn't have corrosion inhibitors, allows electrical flow/galvanic corrosion, and lacks a lubricant for the water pump.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Megaladon6 beat me to it. I was about to say they'll last almost forever with the correct coolant changed every so often. Plain water is bad all around. Plus Chevy 400's are known for running hot anyway because of the siamesed bores. I allways felt Chevy wanted to copy the successful 400 format that Pontiac and the other BOP's had, but the small block was really pushed to the limit casting it for that big bore. That's why you usually find them in land yachts and station wagons.

78olds_ponce

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2010
tri-cities,wa
i just installed a new stock 400 water pump.got a gallon of 50/50 coolant .it says to put it in the resivor and i did but it doesnt even fill the hole thing up.so theres no coolant even going in the radiator.what kind should i use?

captain-FN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2010
charlottetown pei canada
you should completely flush the system just to be safe i've killed more motors that way lol

78olds_ponce

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2010
tri-cities,wa
ok.well do u knw what kind of coolant i should use for it. ? what temp should it be at? when at idle/city driveing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor