double hump heads-screw in stud advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rooster

Apprentice
Jan 3, 2010
Well I got my heads back from the machine shop today.They are 462 castings,2.02/1.60 stainless valves,bronze? guides,surfaced, .500 lift springs,59cc comb.chambers. They are tapped for 3/8 screw in studs.CR is 10.4:1. They were bare castings when I took them in,so my mach. shop guy went all the way through them,except studs and guide plates, as i was already looking at divorce if I spent 1 more cent,LOl What studs should I use? It's basically going on a street/performance application,350 4-bolt SBC .30 over w/dished pistons,pretty much stock short block. The cam is a Melling C-400-P Hyd. .447 lift/222 dur.Just wondering if I need to use guideplates also.I'm thinking ARP studs,probably stock size,don't really know.Anyone have a part number,that would be greatly appreciated.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Chevy rocker studs are made in both 3/8 and 7/16. Both use the same 3/8 hole in the head.

With a cam that size, I'd just use the stock sized 3/8 studs. If you might be looking at upgrading the cam sometime in the future and need new rocker arms anyway, then it'd be cheaper to just install the 7/16 studs and rockers now. The 7/16 will be more stable with stiffer springs and more lift.

Sorry, I don't have a part number for ya but you could probably call Summit or whoever you're buying them from and they could tell you the correct numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor