Drag racing setup and tire size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmax Cody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2010
Im Gonna be building my first G-body car. An 1987 buick regal. Hoping for mid tens with a 500 hp small block with 150-200 shot of nitrous and a nine inch out back. What is the best set-up for the rear suspension of hard launches? I want to keep it stock type and on a budget but want something that will work? Is it just adjustable uppers and boxed lower control arms and a set of moroso trick springs and a set of drag shocks work? Just dont wanna spend a bunch of money on something that wont work. Also what is the biggest size tire i can stuff under the stock wheel well without modifcations. I plan on running a drag radial. Any help would be appreciated.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
can't say much about suspension,
but I've heard of as big as 275/60R15 or 30x9-15 tires...

what rear gear are you using?

Dmax Cody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2010
I thinl im gonna go with 4:10's. What kinda times you running with your grand prix?

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
well I'm discovering that my 3.42s are not so great for the strip. She really struggles to hit the power band in 3rd thru the traps. She's good for a low 13sec run at 102-104 mph.

Reactions: 1 user

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Put the tallest tire you can fit. A tall/thin tire has a larger footprint then a short/wide tire.

Any dyno sheet on the motor? What converter ?

Anyway, being chevys like rpm, I am guessing a 4.10 or 4.30 would do it. It is tough, NA likes more gear,N2O less gear.

For suspension do a search using my name.

I got mid to low 1.4 60 foots with the following:
Front stock coils minus one coil, poly rebuild, 3-way shocks

Rear Eibach lowering springs, single adjustible shocks, p/s air bag, adjustible upper and lower contorl arms.

Car would lift the l/f about a foot in the air and the r/r would drop about 6", all twisted up. It was a fun but scary ride.

I added my own rear sway bar and then stepped up to a HR&stuff rear bar and all of the drama went away.

Later ugraded to double adjustible shocks all around and now the car leave straight and true. I can make a run with one hand on the wheel like I am drivin' to church. :D

On a side note selling the rear and suspension out of the car. :mrgreen:

Dmax Cody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks shot gun. THat helps out alot.Ill Be running a 3800 or 4000 stall conveter and a trans brake. Im gonna try and stay wtih a drag radial. Like i said im hoping for mid tens. Otherwise it will be slicks. LIke i said i have no clue on what to buy and dont wanna spend a bunch of money that wont work. Thanks again

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
I think you might be confusing tire terms .

Radial is a construction type, you can have a radial slick (which I run) as well as a DOT radial.

You also can have biasply slick and DOT tire.

Do you need the tire to be DOT.

Will it spend alot of time on the street?

Mostly when it comes to money, higher $ usaully gets you more adjustability and consistency.

Number 1 area to spend is on shocks, especially if you run a radial tire.

Dmax Cody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2010
Yes Sorry for the confusion. I was gonna try a dot drag radial as i see some fast cars running them. But i might just go for a set of full out slicks as the car will mostly be street driven. I have a set of street tires for it and can change to slicks at the track. It will be trailered to the track anyways as its hour and half to the closest one. So a 9.5- 28 will fit in the stock wheel well? Looks like your running goodyears? And what kind and type of drag shock you running? As again thanks for the info.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
I went thru a progression from 3-way cheapys to double adjustable QA1s.

If you are staying with a "stock type" suspension your best money is on double adjustable rear shocks.

Even if you stay with 3-way, get the good one for the rear.

The tires are 30x9 not 9.5. This is a special size used by Super Stock guys.

I have tried both Hoosiers and goodyear version with equal results.

To run these your offset needs to be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor