reverse/neutral safety switch wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazykyle

Master Mechanic
Sep 7, 2009
i just installed a Hurst pro racket shifter,it has a reverse and separate neutral safety.does anyone know off hand which wires i need to splice into for the reverse lights and the neutral safety?

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
The reverse lights in my 84 cutlass worked off of the blue wire going into the neutral safety switch. Just make sure you get the wire input before it goes into the current switch. I just ran micro switches for my 700r-4 to get reverse lights and park-lock. If you need to do park-lock just tap into the purple wire where it runs between the ignition and starter. I can probably get you a pic of the schematic if you need it since I only did reverse lights and park-lock, no neutral-lock.

krazykyle

Master Mechanic
Sep 7, 2009
well i do have it hooked up with the original linkage for the car.i have a manual shift valve body and i just thought with all the shifting i will be doing that linkage might be a burden.it's not the tightest linkage around either and since the shifter came with the switches i thought i would use them.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
In my previous 84 GP it was a green wire in a straight-line harness near the fuse box near the bottom left, under the dash.

Easy way to figure it out: Look in your trunk, find the main bunch of wires (usually along the left side of the trunk) and mark down the colors in that bunch and the order of them (as they run into the harness, which is near the left corner of the trunk). One of those wires is for reverse lights.

Now go under your dash and look for the same bunch of wires (same colors) as they go into a harness. Grab a test light, connect ground and use it to find which one of those wires lights up your reverse lights. Tap into it with your new switch's power wire. Done.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
krazykyle said:
sure if you have a diagram it would be helpful

Well, you could always BUY a factory service manual...

In any case, G-body cars do not have an electric neutral safety switch. They have a mechanical interlock in the steering column. If you have disconnected the backdrive linkage to the column, this interlock will not function and you will be able to start the car in any gear. The switch on the column is for the backup lights and a park/neutral signal to the computer. It is NOT connected to the starting circuit.

krazykyle

Master Mechanic
Sep 7, 2009
I have two manuals and the one just shows the picture of the safety switch,i can't seem to find the wiring diagram

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
0427001227.jpg

Like I said before interrupt it before the switch where it is blue.

...just to comment on all the nit pickers, It is called the gear selector switch...but it does basically the same thing as a neutral safety. Only allows starting in park & neutral, and activates reverse lights.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 user

krazykyle

Master Mechanic
Sep 7, 2009
thanks man i can't seem to find that page.is that in the chassis manual or the electric manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor