reverse/neutral safety switch wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
it's in my electric manual on pg. 111-4, and no problem I just went through same problem except I had to install micro switches to work my reverse lights

krazykyle

Master Mechanic
Sep 7, 2009
i don't think that is going to work.the blue wires are for the gear selector switch and yes is also goes to the back up lights.i put jumper wires between the gear selector and attached the other end to the switch on the shifter still starts in every gear.joe sounds right,seems like there is a mechanical switch in the column to lock out staring in gear.i really like to get this shifter to work with neutral switch.any other ways around this.

Attachments

• 01414_aw1m61JNbYG_600x450.jpg
    01414_aw1m61JNbYG_600x450.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 255

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Yea, I put micro switches in my shifter since I no longer have the column linkage. The one for the reverse is closed when it's in reverse and lights up reverse lights. I didn't worry about neutral, just wired in the another switch for a park-lock. I jumped off of the purple wire that runs from ignition to starter. Now it only starts in park. Worked fine for me, but I totally made my gear indicator switch obsolete. So I just bypassed it completely. I just checked reverse lights and I used the blue wire going into the switch and green wire coming out to bypass gear indicator switch...I couldn't remember before

krazykyle

Master Mechanic
Sep 7, 2009
that purple wire seems like it would carry alot of amps,did you run 12 wire between your micro switch and back to the the ignition switch and everything is fine.the neutral safety switch on the my shifter is close on park and neutral so it will start and open on reverse and in drive gears so i know the switch works and won't start in those gears.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I did use a heavier gauge wire on the park-lock yes. I don't remember what size exactly but I pretty much matched it up to the size wire I was going to.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
84cutspreme said:
...just to comment on all the nit pickers, It is called the gear selector switch...but it does basically the same thing as a neutral safety. Only allows starting in park & neutral, and activates reverse lights.

Have you actually looked at the wiring diagrams for a G-body? I've got $100 for the first person who can show me how this switch is wired to the starting circuit. Once again, it's called a gear selector switch because it only serves to tell the computer when the shifter is in park or neutral for the purpose of controlling the idle speed and mixture through the CCC system (and to turn the backup lights off and on). As documented in the Chassis Service Manual, there is a MECHANICAL interlock that blocks the linkage from the key lock to the ignition switch in the column. This is the ONLY "neutral safety switch" function on these cars (as well as on my B-body wagon).

If you can't be bothered to actually look at the wiring diagram, then try this simple test. Pull the connector off the switch and see if the car still starts. If it does, guess what? Interrupting the wires to the switch WON'T do anything.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Have you actually looked at the wiring diagrams for a G-body?

Hence the wiring diagram I showed pics of...I have both switches working in my 84 cutlass.

krazykyle

Master Mechanic
Sep 7, 2009
i just spliced into the purple wire.the neutral safety switch on the shifter went between the wire.so when it's in park or neutral i makes a connection and the car starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor