installing 350 sbc in 79 cutlass...walkthrough...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicago2tacoma

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2010
I have 79 cutlass with 260 olds and 200c in it....in two days I am gonna yank that moter and trans out and install 350 sbc and th350 I don't know much about cars so ima need som help puttin in there right and gettin it all runnin......first question is the two heater hoses that come out of the side wall how should I hook these up one to intake and one to water pump or does one go to the radiator (the 350 has 2101 performer intake with rear hole pluged) right now the 260 has one going to water pump and one to intake but it has one of those cone dish things on it with a wire comin off it what's that for my heater controls???.............after this is answered I will move to next question......and together we will make my moter run....

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
yes one heater hose goes to the manifold and one to the wp. and the little dish thing with a hose should be the heater control valve. its what lest the coolant flow to the heater core.

chicago2tacoma

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2010
Right now I have 200c trans and I want to put th350 in will drive shaft have same amount of splines???....they seem to be the same length I measered 28 inches for both but 200c was still in car so may be off some.....will th350 bolt right in???

82cutty

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2008
On my Chevy 350 I have a hose from the radiator to the heater core and one from the front intake to the heater core. The Olds motor will run a hose from the water pump to to the heater core or the radiator, thus calling it heavy duty. If you want you can run it the way it is or plug the front hole and use the rear, its your call.

chicago2tacoma

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2010
chicago2tacoma said:
Right now I have 200c trans and I want to put th350 in will drive shaft have same amount of splines???....they seem to be the same length I measered 28 inches for both but 200c was still in car so may be off some.....will th350 bolt right in???
............and do you think I could use cooling lines from 200c for th350 are fittings in same place???

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
chicago2tacoma said:
chicago2tacoma said:
............and do you think I could use cooling lines from 200c for th350 are fittings in same place???

The transmission cooler lines are the same and fittings are the same size and in the same place. Also, the driveshaft will work fine. Are you sure you don't want to take a little time and research things before yanking an engine out? Especially going from Olds to Chevy, these are two completely different engines and will be more complicated than pulling one and putting the other in it's place. You need to change the motor mounts on frame and engine, swap the battery to the passenger side, fuel lines need to be changed, wiring will need to be re-routed. There are other things that I am not sure of off hand, but you will run into things that you may not expect right now.

chicago2tacoma

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2010
Good to know I won't have to trow any money into trans.......already have maroso solid frame and moter mount set.....already have new trans mount......now fuel lines....what needs to be replaced the entire fuel line system and why must I replace it.....and battery shouldn't be to hard to move over but why must I do this is it not possible to leave on drivers side???........and what needs to be rewired???

82cutty

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2008
Take some time and look at the 2 motors. Olds motors have all the important stuff on the oposite side compared to a Chevy. The Olds starter is on the left vs Chevy on the right. You want the battery as close to the starter as you can for various reasons. On my 82 Cutlass I replaced the V-6 with a Chevy 350 and had to do a few things to get everything working off the computer. 1 example was I had to run a charge wire to the battery from the alternator and lengthen some wires to reach with the V-8. But I removed the computer and that got ride of alot of wires and headahes. The A/C wires worked so they stayed. As for the fuel lines I replaced mine complete as I had the body off the frame so it was easy and a no brainer, along with the brake lines as well. As for the fuel lines, if they are on the pass side of the car you should be ok. Just like Outsider 27 said take some time to compare and make sure you have what it takes to do the swap. Its not hard to do it as long as you know whats going on. I have done numerous A and G body engine swaps and also Ford V-6 to V-8 EFI swaps. Something always gets you in the middle of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor