TH350 to 2004r/700R4 Overdrive swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
What all is needed? I understand the crossmember and driveshaft depend on what vehicle, but other than that what can you still use? I've got a shift cable from a 2004r car, and I know the shifter bolts into the same exact spot. What about trans lines? Also I see places offering the switch for the TC lockup. I bought a set of 3.23 gears to put in my TH350 car with a 3.73 rear, just to keep it alot more streetable until I can save up for an overdrive swap.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
need TV cable and the right brackets for the trans and intake, not sure if the cooler lines match up - I'd just bend new ones. Depending on the year of car you may need a frame extension piece on the driver's side to hook the 200-4r crossmember (have no clue how a 700-r4 member bolts-in, but I am sure the company you buy it from can tell you). 200-4r/TH350 will use the same driveshaft (this usually only changes with differentials 7.5 vs 8.5 - the 700 is another story - you will probably have to have one cut). I used the th350 dipstick and linkages with a new shifter cable. New transmission mount and I do believe you are ready to go ... atleast if there is anything else in the swap - I forgot.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Sweet thanks a bunch for the info. That does make sence about the driveshaft seeing from going to an 8.5" I needed a shorter one. That's good news. Do you have any more info on the places to get the brackets and TV cable? I'd like to read up on it a bit more before I make any bold decisions.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
79loserbluebu said:
Sweet thanks a bunch for the info. That does make sence about the driveshaft seeing from going to an 8.5" I needed a shorter one. That's good news. Do you have any more info on the places to get the brackets and TV cable? I'd like to read up on it a bit more before I make any bold decisions.

I got both brackets from summit and the cable from the local advanced auto but a junkyard would do for the brackets too cable you better buy new. It's that crucial.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I vote for the 200 over the 700.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Start here, http://www.transmissioncenter.org/700r4 ... Converters

They make a universal fit G-body crossmember for the 700R4, and all of the TV cable brackets, correctors and other things you'll need.

I spent about 850$ in parts from that website for my 700R4 to fit better than factory in my 88 MCSS.

Also, go with the 700R4 over the 200R4, allot better for the money.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
I say go for the 200, both are very weak stock, but the first few years of the 700 sucked. plus there is a huge drop off in gears from 1st to second, 200s can be just as strong, and are cheaper, you can use the stock driveshaft all you need is a new crossmember! 200s have a better a better overdrive along with the better gear spread... you would be insane to spend more money on a 700 then have to cut a new driveshaft and then get worse gas mileage as compared to a 200.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Gear ratios in a 700s are meant for a truck. 200 will have a much better feel. Plus 200 is a much easier install.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
I will also throw my support behind the 200-4r. When built right, they can handle just about any power you can throw at them. 700-r4s (in my opinion) are far better suited for trucks rather than cars. The ease of install and less modifications/fabrication to your car .... means if you ever need to switch back - that too is less work.

86 regal

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2009
Hanover, NM
Awsome info! i've had a 700R4 in the back of my mind for a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor